Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

back camera cable broke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a box that i didn't pushed too far in, as i close the trunk (automate) the box pushed again the black plastic cover and i think damage the cable harness. I looked every where online and I don’t see any diy video to replace that cable harness. Any one have an idea on where that harness go in case i want to try DIY fix? Car is out of warranty (52K miles).

The reverse camera cable is bundled with 2 rears light, reverse light, trunk hitch open, all working. Im trying to understand how the cable is route to the FSD3 computer so that i can further debug. Perhaps the Cable is lose at the FSD computer as well. I just had that computer installed about a month ago.

Camera is black every time i put car in reverse and sentry mode isn't showing back cam

GPS still good? Have to ask. I had both go bad on my M3 - happened "magically" while parked 5 min at a grocery store - but Tesla was able to reset it remotely. First thing I did though was go through the cable harness like you. The symptoms were rear camera black (though reverse guide lines still showed) and "GPS signal lost", so all Nav was out.

Your box damaging something is certainly possible but your post reminded me of my own version.

Good luck!

I had a box that i didn't pushed too far in, as i close the trunk (automate) the box pushed again the black plastic cover and i think damage the cable harness. I looked every where online and I don’t see any diy video to replace that cable harness. Any one have an idea on where that harness go in case i want to try DIY fix? Car is out of warranty (52K miles).

The reverse camera cable is bundled with 2 rears light, reverse light, trunk hitch open, all working. Im trying to understand how the cable is route to the FSD3 computer so that i can further debug. Perhaps the Cable is lose at the FSD computer as well. I just had that computer installed about a month ago.

Camera is black every time i put car in reverse and sentry mode isn't showing back cam
This is where I'd put in a trouble ticket "Rear camera stopped working" and just say "It just stopped working! I don't know why" if they ask.

Reactions: Atari2600
I'd play dumb with Tesla. If there's really no permanent damage and it's just their know-how to reconnect something, they'll probably do it as a good will repair. If it's related to the computer replacement, that work is still warrantied anyway as it was recently done.

My car was perfectly fine except for the back camera. The cable shows tears and damage on where the box edge hit. I think any of these can be solder except for the camera cable. Any way, hard reset the car like 4 times, soft reset it 10+ times, checked the car for 2 days and all showing black camera. On the third day, its magically just turned on.

I don’t get it! I am just going to rewrap the whole bundle in electrical tape in case this happen again. The design of the trunk cable wiring made me wonder how no on else is not seeing this.

My car was perfectly fine except for the back camera. The cable shows tears and damage on where the box edge hit. I think any of these can be solder except for the camera cable. Any way, hard reset the car like 4 times, soft reset it 10+ times, checked the car for 2 days and all showing black camera. On the third day, its magically just turned on.

I don’t get it! I am just going to rewrap the whole bundle in electrical tape in case this happen again. The design of the trunk cable wiring made me wonder how no on else is not seeing this.

Do you have a picture of this?