Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back up collision avoidance / blind spot detection??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Then how is the hardware and software in these cars going to work as a robotaxi?

Mike
To clarify, in this comment I'm saying rear radars used for blind spot monitoring in other cars aren't designed to detect fast approaching vehicles from the rear, due to their angle, not saying necessarily the Tesla rear facing cameras would not, as the angle they aim is different.

I've been through all the menus, and can't find anything for backup collision avoidance. I think every car I've owned for the past 15 years has had a warning chime when backing up if there's something in the way... from at least 5ft away. Very often cars come out of nowhere, and this has been a great feature in previous cars.

I tested this a few times today in a few parking lots, and intentionally backed up as cars were passing by behind me, and no warning sound, even when I got pretty close. Do you have to have a near collision??? Horrible.

Also, there *is* an option in the menu for "blind spot" monitoring, but it does nothing. My past few previous cars have had a loud audible warning if the turn signal was on and there was a car in the blind spot, or even a car behind the blind spot... I've also tested this, and intentionally put my turn signal on as cars were about to pass me, and no warning sound whatsoever!

For a car in this price range, and this technologically advanced, one would think these would be completely standard features!

Will there maybe be software updates for these issues??

I know blind spot monitoring is there because it has worked for me.

Will purchasing a Tesla bring me back to cranking my body and neck around to looking in the back window when backing up? I just like that there is an audible alert when backing out of a busy parking lot that a car or human is approaching. Same is true for blind spot detection.

Reactions: Billee
Will purchasing a Tesla bring me back to cranking my body and neck around to looking in the back window when backing up? I just like that there is an audible alert when backing out of a busy parking lot that a car or human is approaching. Same is true for blind spot detection.
Yes, what do expect for a car that cost 50k, and by the way there is no live traffic updates, apple, android play or Sirius.

Reactions: Gy2020
The Smart Summon feature can't work without understanding what's happening behind the car.

Therefore there's no reason the car can't warn you of other cars in-motion and of pedestrians. But it doesn't.

Don't get distracted by cross traffic alerts, which are a subset of the problem.

>>Will purchasing a Tesla bring me back to cranking my body and neck around to looking in the back window when backing up?
Yes, (like you should be doing for every other car you drive).

When backing out of a parking space or in situations in which other cars might arrive from the side, I crank my body around, but when backing into a space or into my garage, I have come to rely completely on the backup camera.

Is that bad?

>>Will purchasing a Tesla bring me back to cranking my body and neck around to looking in the back window when backing up?

When backing out of a parking space or in situations in which other cars might arrive from the side, I crank my body around, but when backing into a space or into my garage, I have come to rely completely on the backup camera.

Is that bad?

Yes, because cameras are not infallible. You should at a minimum be "cranking your body and neck around to check" before you start moving the car, and looking only at the camera. You dont have to "stay" that way, but you absolutely positively 100% should be looking visually yourself before you start moving.

Reactions: RidgeRunner
Yes, (like you should be doing for every other car you drive).
Model 3 on order...

I live in farm country. It doesn't matter where I park, guaranteed there will be two large trucks to either side of me blocking my view until I have reversed enough to clear their beds. It doesn't matter how much I turn my neck, I won't see anything when backing up (cross traffic). That first two-three feet of backing up is a total crap-shoot. I will hit someone if they are not paying attention while I back up. The next five feet is also stress induced, I expect them to see me at this point but if they are distracted, another collision. I am praying that the Model 3's camera's will allow me to see the traffic in this parking scenario, it happens all too often for me.

Model 3 on order...

I live in farm country. It doesn't matter where I park, guaranteed there will be two large trucks to either side of me blocking my view until I have reversed enough to clear their beds. It doesn't matter how much I turn my neck, I won't see anything when backing up (cross traffic). That first two-three feet of backing up is a total crap-shoot. I will hit someone if they are not paying attention while I back up. The next five feet is also stress induced, I expect them to see me at this point but if they are distracted, another collision. I am praying that the Model 3's camera's will allow me to see the traffic in this parking scenario, it happens all too often for me.

Back into the spot.

It's objectively safer to pull out forward, regardless of the tech on the car.

That's why the car itself parks that way.

Reactions: PianoAl
Back into the spot.

It's objectively safer to pull out forward, regardless of the tech on the car.

That's why the car itself parks that way.You still have the same problem
You still have the same problem if trucks are to your left and right. You can't see anything until you're already nose-out into traffic. Plus, backing in worsens the issue. The traffic that will hit you first is coming from the left, and you just put yourself closer to the obstruction (though I agree you can see better cars coming from your right). It's like in room clearing, when you pie-off a corner, you want as much distance from the obstacle to get a better sight line.

You still have the same problem if trucks are to your left and right. You can't see anything until you're already nose-out into traffic.

This is not correct.

Visibility via front windshield (and 3 front facing cameras) is much superior to rear single cam.

Plus, backing in worsens the issue. The traffic that will hit you first is coming from the left, and you just put yourself closer to the obstruction

.... what?

Backing in is objectively safer- it's how professional drivers are taught to park.

This is not correct.

Visibility via front windshield (and 3 front facing cameras) is much superior to rear single cam.

.... what?

Backing in is objectively safer- it's how professional drivers are taught to park.
I caveat all this with I'm waiting for delivery of my M3, you can tell me how its camera's work, my comments are about the car I drive right now.

If you back into a parking spot, the left side of your car, the side you sit on, is now next to the truck on the left. Leaving the parking spot requires me to pull forward. Traffic moving in the parking area is coming from my left and right but it's the traffic from the left that I would encounter first, precisely the side I have the least visibility of. I would need to edge out into the traffic pattern until my head clears the back of the truck on my left before I have ANY VISIBILITY of the traffic coming from the left. Also, combat parking works great as long as the parking spots are orthogonal to the direction of travel. Combat parking sucks when the parking spots are less than 90 degrees to the direction of travel.

I caveat all this with I'm waiting for delivery of my M3, you can tell me how its camera's work, my comments are about the car I drive right now.

If you back into a parking spot, the left side of your car, the side you sit on, is now next to the truck on the left. Leaving the parking spot requires me to pull forward. Traffic moving in the parking area is coming from my left and right but it's the traffic from the left that I would encounter first, precisely the side I have the least visibility of.

If there's a truck on both sides of you, as in the example given, you'd have similar visibility issues on both sides.

But vastly better, on both sides, than if you were backing out- because your head is much further toward direction of car travel and you simply have much better visibility out the front of the car than the back, there's less of your own car to look through too.

Pulling out forward is objectively safer than backward.

That's why professional drivers are taught to park that way, and many fleet operators require their drivers to do so.

It's why the car parks itself that way too.

When reverse parking, a driver is going into a known space with no vehicle and pedestrian traffic. When leaving the parking space, the driver is able to see the surroundings more clearly.

On the other hand, backing out of a parking space means going out into unknown and changing traffic. A driver’s view is further hindered by the cars parked next to it. The other cars increase the driver’s blind spots.

Reactions: PianoAl

If you back into a parking spot, the left side of your car, the side you sit on, is now next to the truck on the left. Leaving the parking spot requires me to pull forward. Traffic moving in the parking area is coming from my left and right but it's the traffic from the left that I would encounter first, precisely the side I have the least visibility of. I would need to edge out into the traffic pattern until my head clears the back of the truck on my left before I have ANY VISIBILITY of the traffic coming from the left. Also, combat parking works great as long as the parking spots are orthogonal to the direction of travel. Combat parking sucks when the parking spots are less than 90 degrees to the direction of travel.
If there's a truck on both sides of you, as in the example given, you'd have similar visibility issues on both sides.

But vastly better, on both sides, than if you were backing out- because your head is much further toward direction of car travel and you simply have much better visibility out the front of the car than the back, there's less of your own car to look through too.

Pulling out forward is objectively safer than backward.

That's why professional drivers are taught to park that way, and many fleet operators require their drivers to do so.

It's why the car parks itself that way too.

Sorry, we're not communicating very well here. Big truck left and right, it doesn't matter how you park, you will initially not be able to see cross-traffic until your nose or tail is in the traffic. That's the issue for me, I can't see the traffic no matter how I park in my scenario, it's unavoidable. That's the whole purpose of cross-traffic warning systems, give you an ability to see cross-traffic before your eyes are able to see it. Too many people simply say turn your head and look, but you can't see through the two trucks until you get line of sight with the traffic lane and that occurs after a portion of you vehicle is physically in the traffic lane. As to your second point, combat parking, yeah I get it, I do it it always, 23 years Special Forces retired, I lived this, I've been to numerous "professional driving schools" in my career in the Army and in the CIA, I've had buddies die in combat during vehicle ops, I understand your point, I know a few things about driving. Combat parking drives my wife nuts, so does the "go-bag" with IV's, pressure dressings, hemostatic dressings, tourniquets, VHF/UHF ham radio, water, food, sleeping bag, rain/hot gear, and extra ammo in all of my cars.

Sorry, we're not communicating very well here. Big truck left and right, it doesn't matter how you park, you will initially not be able to see cross-traffic until your nose or tail is in the traffic.

It matters very much how you park.

You can see much sooner and better if it's the nose coming out, rather than the tail.

That's why pulling out forward is much safer.

You have 3/4 of the car, much of it actively blocking your view and offering vastly inferior sight lines, behind you when backing out of the space.

You have only 1/4 of the car, and virtually all of that below your line of sight, when pulling out forward.

Even most cars that do have an separate rear cross traffic system do NOT have a front cross traffic system because of how much better a view of cross traffic you get pulling out forward.

that occurs after a portion of you vehicle is physically in the traffic lane.

A vastly smaller portion if you pull out forward though.

As to your second point, combat parking, yeah I get it, I do it it always, 23 years Special Forces retired, I lived this, I've been to numerous "professional driving schools" in my career in the Army and in the CIA, I've had buddies die in combat during vehicle ops, I understand your point, I know a few things about driving. Combat parking drives my wife nuts, so does the "go-bag" with IV's, pressure dressings, hemostatic dressings, tourniquets, VHF/UHF ham radio, water, food, sleeping bag, rain/hot gear, and extra ammo in all of my cars.

Then I'm confused why you keep trying to argue what you've apparently already been trained, by multiple people, is the safer way to park, and the safer way to exit a space.

You say you always back in- so why do you keep asking about REAR cross traffic alerting, when you're always going to be coming out of the space forward? (which is the safer way to do it regardless of what aids the car has)

Reactions: Gasaraki
Status
Not open for further replies.