Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backed into by suv at 5 mph, complexity of repair (state farm shop)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Suv back into me at 5mpg causing 10k in damages. Incident caught on sentry mode.

I was speaking to a Tesla certified repair center and they said State Farm rates are too low and given that, I may be have repair the car and pay the excess amount.

There’s a weird noise when I drive over uneven surfaces. Otherwise car appear normal aside from the damage.

Do you think I can get this repaired at a Farm collision center? Other than the parking sensor on the rear bumper I don’t see any other damage of an electrical nature.

I’m getting the estimate at the Tesla certified collision center Wednesday and I’m bracing for bad news.

Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

In other thoughts, Wood hit my old bmw in 2018 at freeway speeds causing 7k in damages. The damage was far worse but can’t believe the Tesla needs this much repair. Of course there’s inflation to factor into but still.

Attachments

• IMG_2539.jpeg
    IMG_2539.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 342
  • IMG_2540.jpeg
    IMG_2540.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 222
  • IMG_2541.jpeg
    IMG_2541.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 253
Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on the damage point. Did the wood hitting the bmw seriously damage the rear quarter panel? That’s a pretty large fully glued/welded in part.

They also push a higher quality repair these days. And if it’s someone else that damaged your car, that sounds fair.

I’m this case that whole panel will be cut out and replaced. If you’re ok with a Jess expensive repair, it might be able to be pushed out, filled, and painted. But that’s not really a great option.

It depends on the damage point. Did the wood hitting the bmw seriously damage the rear quarter panel? That’s a pretty large fully glued/welded in part.

They also push a higher quality repair these days. And if it’s someone else that damaged your car, that sounds fair.

I’m this case that whole panel will be cut out and replaced. If you’re ok with a Jess expensive repair, it might be able to be pushed out, filled, and painted. But that’s not really a great option.
Ya it was like in terminator 2 when the terminator was hit with a pipe and its head was split. That’s how the bmw looked lol. Anyway you think they won’t even replace the panel they will just cut it?

This looks like way more than 5 mph.

I would expect the repair to cost more once they start pulling things apart. It always does.

Insurance ALWAYS wants you to got their shops. You can find out who that is if you don’t know. Check Google and I’m sure you find horrible reviews for people that had their insurance don’t there. Most of these places are no better than chop shops. I’ve been though this several times now and never use the insurance company shops. It’s really too bad that car dealers no longer do body or paint work.

If they’re 100% at fault they should cover 100% of the repair.

I was hit years ago. I don’t recall who they’re insurance once. They yanked me around for over a year. Every month it was like I was transfer to yet another yet or they were on vacation or whatever.

I hired a lawyer (who ho took 1/3) and I had a check for more than expected in a few days. Lawyer contacted them and said we’re going to court if you don’t pay now and they did. He had mentioned they had a database and knew the exact amount to ask that they would pay without going to saying take us to court. Worked out great.

This looks like way more than 5 mph.

I would expect the repair to cost more once they start pulling things apart. It always does.

Insurance ALWAYS wants you to got their shops. You can find out who that is if you don’t know. Check Google and I’m sure you find horrible reviews for people that had their insurance don’t there. Most of these places are no better than chop shops. I’ve been though this several times now and never use the insurance company shops. It’s really too bad that car dealers no longer do body or paint work.

If they’re 100% at fault they should cover 100% of the repair.

I was hit years ago. I don’t recall who they’re insurance once. They yanked me around for over a year. Every month it was like I was transfer to yet another yet or they were on vacation or whatever.

I hired a lawyer (who ho took 1/3) and I had a check for more than expected in a few days. Lawyer contacted them and said we’re going to court if you don’t pay now and they did. He had mentioned they had a database and knew the exact amount to ask that they would pay without going to saying take us to court. Worked out great.
So State Farm representatives said the other part is 100% at fault. I was parked. They backed into me (all on video as proof). State Farm gave me an estimate. Are you saying if the repair cost more the State Farm quote, State Farm will charge the guys insurance the difference? I’ll call State Farm to discuss this question.

The Tesla certified collision shop said it might be best to get the guys insurance to cover it since it’s AAA, and AAA covers Tesla labor cost. This is Such a pain. My car had ppf and I’m meticulous about parking now been it’s hit like no other.

So State Farm representatives said the other part is 100% at fault. I was parked. They backed into me (all on video as proof). State Farm gave me an estimate. Are you saying if the repair cost more the State Farm quote, State Farm will charge the guys insurance the difference? I’ll call State Farm to discuss this question.

The Tesla certified collision shop said it might be best to get the guys insurance to cover it since it’s AAA, and AAA covers Tesla labor cost. This is Such a pain. My car had ppf and I’m meticulous about parking now been it’s hit like no other.

With Allstate they took care of me and to get me whole and back on the road asap and then went after the other companies. You need to ask your agent. If you get it take of at insurance approved they will fix everything regardless of cost, or total it - depending. Again you need to talk to your again, err uh whoever is handling that is. Ask them the differences between your insurance covering or the other parties - maybe they have better cover than you?

Realistically if they have good coverage they should cover 100% regardless where you take it. Unfortunately they make this real hard sometimes without getting a lawyer involved. If you do get a lawyer involved your insurance will have to remove themselves from the claim.

Talk to your insurance and see what they will cover on their side for you, what are the options for repair - theirs or yours, and what happens if your repair place of choice is over what your insurance will cover.

Also ask your insurance the options with their insurance. If you can find out what their coverage is - don’t think you can.

Personally unless you can confirm the insurance repair shop is a solid 4-5 stars I would take it to your shop of choice. If their insurance or your insurance won’t cover the difference and it’s substantial you either need to pay the difference or get a lawyer.

Most insurance companies usually cover the work for the life of ownership. But again I’ve never know anyone to have good experience with any insurance shop. Experience will vary.

You’re going to need to but I’m hours of calls , notes, and web research if you want this done right.

Sorry.

The at fault driver’s insurance is responsible to pay for your vehicle. Also demand diminished value and rental car, or cash value for the rental car if you don’t need it.

In these cases it's also important to keep a list of everything that you can fill the other insurance. Dates, time, and whatnot. If you had to take time off work and lost pay, or had to use your vacation time and lost that. Any money spent on gas, or electricity as the case may be. Did you go to your doc or even just your chiro for any adjustment. The more detailed and comprehensive your list the more you (likely) will get paid and the more serious they know you are with the issue.

Dates & times

California is an at-fault state. California also allows you to go to any licensed repair shop in the state. California law prohibits State Farm from raising your rates when the other guy is at fault.

Your insurer (State Farm?) wants you to go to their shop? Fuhghedditboutit. They ain't paying; the other carrier will, eventually. But what your insurer should do is to go after the other insurer to get reimbursed for a repair and a rental reimbursement.

Take it to a Tesla certified repair center and given them your SF #. Don't get bullied by your own insurer.

btw: agree that this will be much more than $10k. You have two body parts damaged at least.

Yah I was worried about the charge port but it seems like it’s ok. The suspension grinding on uneven surfaces worries me. I got a letter from the guys insurance so I’ll call tomorrow.

You do not necessarily need to talk to them. And I would be careful with what they ask and what you tell them. Talk to your insurance claim and or personal insurance agent, if you have one beforehand and get their take on this before talking to their insurance.

Not trying to freak you out just be careful.

Hmm. I had a very similar accident but on the front end of the car. It was way less than $10K, but I'm not in CA. I agree it looks like much faster than 5 mph. By all means, your insurance company SHOULD be dealing with the other person's insurance company to have them pay. You should not have to deal personally with the other person.

As for the sound, it's probably the tire rubbing against the wheel well somewhere. If you can pull out some of the dented area, that should help. If your car is still drivable, then take your time to find the right repair place and have them order parts first. That will shorten the time the car will be out of commission.

So sorry.

Suv back into me at 5mpg causing 10k in damages. Incident caught on sentry mode.
I was speaking to a Tesla certified repair center and they said State Farm rates are too low and given that, I may be have repair the car and pay the excess amount.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.
Just because SF labor rates are low, doesn't mean anything. The body shop is still required to do the job, if they are certified to process claims through SF. This is part of their contractual obligation to SF, else they risk loosing all future SF business.
If the body shop keeps trying to hustle you to pay extra, start talking to them through your SF rep. Let them sort this out for you.

There’s a weird noise when I drive over uneven surfaces. Otherwise car appear normal aside from the damage.

That's probably your plastic wheel well liner rubbing on the tire. No big deal.

Do you think I can get this repaired at a Farm collision center? Other than the parking sensor on the rear bumper I don’t see any other damage of an electrical nature.

Tesla makes it incredibly hard for body shops to gets its parts, unless they are part of "Tesla certified" network.
Sadly for the owners, this means constrained supply of Tesla certified body shops with long repair wait times (measured in months) and excess labor charges and fees for repairing Teslas.
We (Tesla owners) all pay for that through higher insurance premiums on our cars.

In other thoughts, Wood hit my old bmw in 2018 at freeway speeds causing 7k in damages. The damage was far worse but can’t believe the Tesla needs this much repair. Of course there’s inflation to factor into but still.

Tesla is not well engineered for ease of repairs. Basically, all body repairs on Teslas are unnecessarily complex and needlessly expensive compared to competition.
It sucks, but it's all part of Tesla ownership.

Good luck with your repairs!

a

Reactions: Rottenapplr

I’m getting the estimate at the Tesla certified collision center Wednesday and I’m bracing for bad news.

Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

I had the same problem in the same place a couple years ago. Rear quarter panels are expensive to fix. They have to remove most of the interior and cut out a large part of the frame then weld and glue in a new one. The glass roof almost always breaks during removal so that also got replaced. Once done, they paint and reassemble. The job took about three weeks after drop off. That was after the parts arrived. Cost just over $10k which my diminished value appraiser said was a good deal for rear quarter panel replacement.

Also-use your insurance and take it to the body shop of your choice. They will take care of getting paid by the other driver’s insurance. You won’t be responsible for the deductible. Worked great for me.

Also-use your insurance and take it to the body shop of your choice. They will take care of getting paid by the other driver’s insurance.
This is accurate. In Calif. you can select the shop and your insurance is required to manage process with the at-fault insurance company. My spouse’s Porsche was bumped into, and while the insurance company required an “estimate” at their shop, we took it to certified Porsche repair and cost was double. The shop knows how to submit revised estimates and get approval at each stage.

Just tell your insurance where you’re taking the car, and ask them to manage subjugation with the other company. You will pay deductible and then get reimbursed for everything, including rental car if it extends beyond your own insurance daily amount or timeframe (it will take longer).

• Helpful
Reactions: zoomer0056