Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backed into pole no warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mat Watson from CarWow just did a video with his mother driviner her model 3 and he lied down in front of the car and had her summon the car forward. It would have run over him if she didn't stop. It seems the cameras don't pick up everything.

Early adopter issues. I have been an early adopter of technology for 40 years I was a systems supervisor so very familiar that technology takes time to develop. Tesla is losing law suits in Europe now for misleading customers on how advanced their technology is so I'm not that dumb the car on the other hand isn't taking over the world any time soon neither is Alexa

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi
I definitely do not work for Tesla. My post history pretty much confirms that.

I’m not sure what you are here looking for. YOU drove into a pole. Not the car.
I think I explained the situation thoroughly in the thread half the time the backup camera doesn't even come on. The sensors seemed reliable up till this point the front sensors seem to be reliable measurements every time I pull in garage and that is a small railing with a concrete wall behind it much smaller than this pole. Don't make me sound like an idiot because I asked why they didn't work in this situation. Some people were actually nice and explained they had the same thing that happened. The moderator even said it's a fairly common situation. No need to place blame when you weren't even there to see it.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi
I think I explained the situation thoroughly in the thread half the time the backup camera doesn't even come on. The sensors seemed reliable up till this point the front sensors seem to be reliable measurements every time I pull in garage and that is a small railing with a concrete wall behind it much smaller than this pole. Don't make me sound like an idiot because I asked why they didn't work in this situation. Some people were actually nice and explained they had the same thing that happened. The moderator even said it's a fairly common situation. No need to place blame when you weren't even there to see it.
Half of the time camera doesn’t come on? Really?

Reactions: DocHolliday
(moderator note)

This is a reminder that personal attacks are not allowed. I have moved some posts out of this thread that I considered personal attacks. If you dont see a post of yours in this thread that used to be there, thats why.

Earlier in the thread someone asked about forum rules. We do have those, yes. Its allowed to post opinions on threads that are not the same as the creator of the thread. Its allowed to provide information and different opinions. Personal attacks, however, are not allowed.

I am putting this thread on a temporary time out, as it appears to be escalating. I will unlock this thread after this short time out, but will remind people one more time about the personal attack rule, and also remind people that if you happen to be a repeat offender, any direct moderation actions may be amplified.

(edit) thread unlocked.

Last edited:
Why is everyone on here so snarky. I was just pointing out for any newbie like me on here the safety of the car has been greatly over exaggerated. Tesla claims this car with be able to fully self drive without modification but the car is supposed to correct human error so it's more of a question about how that is going to ever happen if it can't detect large objects it is about to hit. Another issue I have with the car is that the windows are tinted so dark it's hard to see anything in the mirrors especially when it's getting dark which was the case here. You have to rely on the cameras and sensors. It had just rained too so the backup camera was a bit foggy. So dark windows, fogged camera, failed sensors, unfamiliar parking lot that wouldn't meet code in most US cities.. This would have been a tough situation for any driver.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: GHammer and WhiteWi
Why is everyone on here so snarky. I was just pointing out for any newbie like me on here the safety of the car has been greatly over exaggerated. Tesla claims this car with be able to fully self drive without modification but the car is supposed to correct human error so it's more of a question about how that is going to ever happen if it can't detect large objects it is about to hit
What happened to you has nothing to do with safety of the car.

Reactions: DasTasla
Why is everyone on here so snarky. I was just pointing out for any newbie like me on here the safety of the car has been greatly over exaggerated. Tesla claims this car with be able to fully self drive without modification but the car is supposed to correct human error so it's more of a question about how that is going to ever happen if it can't detect large objects it is about to hit. Another issue I have with the car is that the windows are tinted so dark it's hard to see anything in the mirrors especially when it's getting dark which was the case here. You have to rely on the cameras and sensors. It had just rained too so the backup camera was a bit foggy. So dark windows, fogged camera, failed sensors, unfamiliar parking lot that wouldn't meet code in most US cities.. This would have been a tough situation for any driver.

You are right that many people on TMC can be snarky. From my time here, that normally happens when either there is a hot button topic that someone is dredging up, or when someone is trying to shift blame for something they are responsible for, to the car.

In this case, its my opinion that the latter is happening here. Your posts come across as attempting to shift blame to the car for your accident, that was your fault.

If, instead of the angle you have taken on this ("the safety of the car has been greatly over exaggerated" is an example of the angle you have taken for this), you said something like:
========================
"I had an accident that was my fault. The sensors did not activate and this car does not have rear traffic alerts, which I find unfortunate for a car in this price range".
========================

You would find a lot more sympathy for your situation. There are many people who feel that this car should have rear cross traffic alerts. The issue is the appearance of an an attempt to blame "the sensors" instead of accepting / admitting that the ultimate fault is with the driver, not the car, and that rear cross traffic alerts has nothing to do with whether the car could conceivably achieve FSD.

The FSD part is another discussion, and I am not going to allow it in this thread. Discussion on FSD will be split off and moved to the specific subforum for that discussion, which is here:

These cars are proven statistically safe. Every week or so, I see someone post a picture of a wrecked tesla that was in an accident, many of them that look particularly horrible, and the person is posting away here about insurance costs, wondering if it will be totaled, and NOT seriously injured (or in many cases not injured at all in fairly big collisions).

Do I wish the car had rear traffic alerts? Yes I do. Do I think that someone other than yourself is at fault for the hitting what you hit? No I dont. Thats my particular opinion, and I am not blasting you for your own, just pointing out why you are receiving some of the feedback you are receiving.

TL; DR (too long, didnt read): TMC can be snarky, especially when members feel someone is trying to shift blame from themselves to the vehicle, when they are the one at fault.

Mat Watson from CarWow just did a video with his mother driviner her model 3 and he lied down in front of the car and had her summon the car forward. It would have run over him if she didn't stop. It seems the cameras don't pick up everything.

This begs the question of what is the vertical field of vision of the sensors, 180 degrees (as I would hope), or perhaps 90 degrees straight out and then up, if the latter, then that would answer why the tesla didn't stop for him?

Won't get into the embarrassing details, but I can vouch for the torque reduction working. In the OPs situation, the pole as described would have been visible in the backup camera. If the cam was intermittently having issues, then that should have been addressed. As for the nannies, it should be taken for granted they're not going to work every time.. in any car.