Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backing Out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My new Midel S 60 D did something strange today. I was parked between two cars. When I tried to back up the car stopped. I tried several more times and each time the sensor recognized the car next to me it stopped. After 5 or 6 tries I finally got it out of the spot by moving back a foot and stopping then a foot more and stopping etc. once clear of the car next to me I could back out. Any one have similar experiences or suggestions please. Thanks.

• Helpful
Reactions: Imafrog
My new Midel S 60 D did something strange today. I was parked between two cars. When I tried to back up the car stopped. I tried several more times and each time the sensor recognized the car next to me it stopped. After 5 or 6 tries I finally got it out of the spot by moving back a foot and stopping then a foot more and stopping etc. once clear of the car next to me I could back out. Any one have similar experiences or suggestions please. Thanks.
My 90 D did a similar thing at the Rocklin CA service center last month. I tried to back into a SC stall it it just would not let me back up. I had to move forward and find another stall. There was nothing in the rear but there was a truck in front and off to the left but that should not have impacted my ability to back up.

Did you buckle your seat belt on when you put on your reverse gear?

Not saying this is what happened in your case, but there are reports that some drivers have their car stop while backing because they turn to look back and lift enough weight off the seat to have the car think there is no one in the seat and it stops....

More than likely this is what happened. There is no feature/capability in the S/X that I'm aware of that would force the car to stop while in reverse. If it put the car into Park, this is what happened.