Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backup camera HOT?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Raven S has been in the garage all night. I went out just now to install a new license bracket, and in removing the old one my finger grazed the back side of the backup camera. I was shocked to feel it hot to the touch (almost a hot cup of coffee hot, I don’t have a laser thermometer and wish I did), not unbearably so, but very much warmer than the air temperature and the skin of the car.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I assume it is due to the camera running constantly; interestingly I have sentry mode enabled, but also disabled for home, which is where the car is parked.

Anyone else have a hot rear camera?

As a follow up. I also just enabled sentry mode today and disabled it for home. Maybe it is not disabled when at the home location. Anyway I turned it off and checked after 2 hours. It is now cool to the touch. Hopefully Tesla is monitoring this forum and will check into this.

Good thing to note here as an engineer, most products have requirements that they are designed for. In this case since its housed outside, the temperature likely also has a lot to do with it. The sun could be helping the temperature increase but as long as it meets its requirements ( max temperature cold vs hot ) it should be fine.

I noticed this today, same situation as kstewartid.

I have a 2020 Model X that was plugged in, inside a garage for the last 2 days. Went to open the trunk and hit the camera and was shocked at how hot it was. I checked around the area and everywhere else was cool to the touch. I have sentry mode disabled at home.

Reviewing footage is also super slow, maybe I’ll disable the recording, reboot, and plug it back in. I have a FLIR, I’ll check it later in the morning.

After updating to 2020.20.12.5 a fair few folk including myself started to get significant battery drain and in nearly every case the back up camera was noticeably warm to the touch. Updating to 2020.24.6.1 seems to have fixed the problem. I am now sitting with 2020.24.6.4 but haven’t been out to the car to check that the camera is still cool. Fingers crossed that this latest update hasn’t reintroduced the bug.

The camera may run at 15-20 F above ambient, like many electronics. They may self heat.

Have you ever checked the camera temperature before? At 60F, it would be 80. Still cool to the touch. At 80F, it would feel warm because it’s above your body temp of about 98 degrees. Etc.

Self heating, by design or a side effect helps keep them clear in the winter from ice. If you have winter there.

I doubt there’s anything wrong just because you noticed it for the first time. What was the ambient temp when you checked?

Software bugs In a newly released update? No, way!

The camera may run at 15-20 F above ambient, like many electronics. They may self heat.

Have you ever checked the camera temperature before? At 60F, it would be 80. Still cool to the touch. At 80F, it would feel warm because it’s above your body temp of about 98 degrees. Etc.

Self heating, by design or a side effect helps keep them clear in the winter from ice. If you have winter there.

I doubt there’s anything wrong just because you noticed it for the first time. What was the ambient temp when you checked?

Software bugs In a newly released update? No, way!

I checked it today, ambient temperature 82F, camera 118F.

Are you running sentry mode? Did you check it in the morning or after a drive? How long has it been sitting?

120F is nothing to worry about for electronics. That’s only 49C. The camera should be designed to operate at 85C.

Not enough data, really. And don’t use one other data point and think your car has a problem.

Last edited: