TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Backup Level 1 Charger

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by P85_DA, May 29, 2015.

1. P85_DA

P85_DA Member

2. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

for the price of a bare bones UMC ($450), and then just purchase the adapters you want, such as a 120 15a, 120 20a, or 14-50, I find the above not worth it. 66hrs for a recharge on 120v from dead.

3. P85_DA

P85_DA Member

UMC is 650 ...I had one stolen before plugged into a 120 ...

4. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

Barebones UMC with no adapters is $400-450 right from a service center. Then, you can customize what you would like. I went that route. So if one failed, I had something that could allow my vehicle to be charged normally, instead of a dead slow pace. I suppose, for compatability with all EV's, the one you posted, would be more ideal. For a Model S/Tesla, 120v is just too slow accept when knowingly parked for long long periods of time, or just enough to get you a few miles to a level 2 or supercharger.

5. davewill

davewill Member

#5 davewill, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
    Ingineer, the guy who upgrades the Nissan EVSEs had a very low opinion of Lear units:
    This one seems to be at least a little better. Has an ETL mark on the back, and the main cord seems to be 14awg instead of 16awg. No way I'd pick this for any kind of regular use, though.

6. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

Lear is terrible. This is the non-OEM version of the pre-2013 Chevy Volt EVSE. Stay away from it.

7. Electric700

Electric700 Member

+1. For example, the Sun Country Highway cUL and UL-listed 15 A/120 V charger is $599, so is not a great deal compared to the Tesla UMC. Here's the Sun Country Highway product link: Electric Vehicle (EV) Products and Services | Sun Country Highway

8. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

The Sun Country Highway EVSEs are rebranded Clipper Creeks.

9. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member