Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backup Level 1 Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UMC is 650 ...I had one stolen before plugged into a 120 ...
Barebones UMC with no adapters is $400-450 right from a service center. Then, you can customize what you would like. I went that route. So if one failed, I had something that could allow my vehicle to be charged normally, instead of a dead slow pace. I suppose, for compatability with all EV's, the one you posted, would be more ideal. For a Model S/Tesla, 120v is just too slow accept when knowingly parked for long long periods of time, or just enough to get you a few miles to a level 2 or supercharger.

I found this great deal on eBay for a backup level 1 charger...I know the UMC can do this but there are times when I do t like leaving my UMC out... for the price I don't care if someone steals this :) ...check it out this guy has several more available
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=231539285454
Ingineer, the guy who upgrades the Nissan EVSEs had a very low opinion of Lear units:
My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - A Cheaper, alternative L1 for your Leaf.
We will never be upgrading these Lear-manufactured units. They are functionally the same as the Legrand units, although they look different externally. They are terrible! It's easy to see why they are cheap!

On the second version, They have indeed upgraded the input cord and plug, as these were melting and burning. They still skimp on the design, with a low-cost insufficient housing (for a portable unit) and it is not sealed to keep water out. They still use a 16 awg charge cable for 12 amps which I don't consider adequate, and the unit is not UL listed. Testing reveals the unit loses over 40 watts while charging. If you pay for electricity what many do here in the bay area, you are looking at paying an extra dollar for every 5 charges! Over the life of the EVSE that could easily pay for a better unit and you have no safety risk!

If you drop it on pavement, expect it to break open. Don't even think of a drive-over! (which the Nissan/Panasonic unit will survive)

I'd recommend these be avoided except for emergency use, and if you must, be sure to FULLY uncoil the cord and lay it out flat.

Definitely NOT superior to almost any other EVSE on the market!

-Phil
This one seems to be at least a little better. Has an ETL mark on the back, and the main cord seems to be 14awg instead of 16awg. No way I'd pick this for any kind of regular use, though.

Last edited: