Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Air Filter Replacement Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m on my second set as well. Just changed it yesterday.

No difference from OEM in my experience either. I’m on year 2 here in the Northeast and just noticed a slight funk that prompted me to change it and clean the coil.

Mine had minimal debris, no mold, and no smell from the filters. My assumption is most of the funk was within the coil.

Thanks
I get the smell every year and it's definitely the filters getting wet. If these expensive filters still do it I won't be buying them. I've used multiple different kinds and now it just makes sense to buy the cheapest until it smells again.

Thanks
I get the smell every year and it's definitely the filters getting wet. If these expensive filters still do it I won't be buying them. I've used multiple different kinds and now it just makes sense to buy the cheapest until it smells again.

It's too much a pain in the neck to try to remove the filters without cleaning the coil and see if the smell remains. If I'm in there I'll use half a can of $19 Klima-Cleaner and use the other half the next time.

If it really is just the filter that would suggest the activated charcoal they all contain has pretty much worn itself out.

I don't care so much about filtering smells I just don't want to clog up the evaporator. If somebody meade a pleated reusable stainless steel screen filter I'd be all over it if the price was reasonable. However, if I was in dusty area I think I'd continue the disposables.

I finished replacing them. They were not that dirty (old on the left, new on the right).

So, if you rarely use the AC, I don't recommend changing the filters unless they smell.

Filters.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: stopcrazypp
I finished replacing them. They were not that dirty (old on the left, new on the right).

So, if you rarely use the AC, I don't recommend changing the filters unless they smell.

View attachment 945394
Yeah that's the dilemma. You don't really know that until you take them out or at least open the panel to look, but if you reach that step, might as well replace them.

I've been using HEPA filters for air pollution research for decades. If they aren't dirty, smelly, or have a hole in them, they don't really need to be replaced. Some last 20-40 years if maintained. Same should apply to Tesla's cabin filters.

Also, I thought I read that the software was changed to blow air past the HEPA filters for a little bit, after the car doors were locked/closed, so that any moisture would be drawn away from the coils.

Hello. I replaced my air filters and found this very tiny chip on the floor under my car as I was cleaning up. Not sure where this one belongs. Please help. View attachment 959411
Looks like a infrared transmitter LED and a microswitch (is it pushable?) What is on the back? Doesn't look like anything that would be part of the car as I can't think of anything that uses infrared. Did you find it inside the car or did you mean underneath?

Only thing I can think of that has a photodiode (to detect ambient light) is the sensor in the windshield, but that one is a long board:
s-l1600.png

NEW TESLA MODEL 3 RAIN SENSOR 2017-2022 1110860-00-D 1462944-00-A | eBay
Parts Catalog
It's part of the windshield camera housing:
s-l1600.jpg
2017-2022 Tesla Model 3 M3 Windshield Triple Camera w/ Module & Bracket Assembly | eBay

Yes it’s pushablle. I found it underneath the car. I was wondering if it could be a part that flew out when I pulled the panel down. As far as I know, I kept all the wires connected when I replaced the filters. This is what the other side looks like

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 38
The same applies to a lot of people's home air handler filters. They basically never replace them, but if you open it up, you will see it's caked full of dust. But they can still use it blissfully unaware, given most have enough power to easily power through regardless of the dust.
Another downside to NOT replacing filters on the regular is the higher amperage used by the motors sucking the air through the clogged filters. This translates to higher-than-necessary electrical use. Same effect for replacing normal filters with HEPA or MERV13’s or higher; even though clean they’ll add load to blower motors by reducing airflow.

• Disagree
Reactions: XPsionic
This is what the other side looks like
It looks like there used to be a 4 pin connector over the white square on the back. The pins have broken off and the ends are still visible in the holes on the top side.

What ever it is, it was probably originally in a case or housing that allowed you to press the button. It could have been part of an infrared remote control of some sort. I agree with others that it's unlikely part of the car.

What ever it is, it was probably originally in a case or housing that allowed you to press the button.
@Rej Padua,
Thinking about this further, is the LED actually darkened or is it clear and we're actually just seeing the dark PCB through it in the photo? If the LED case is clear, it could be a white LED instead of infrared. Also, the push button might have been activated by a mechanical mechanism instead of by a human.

If both cases are true, the part could have been for illuminating an area when a door or something is opened. For example, the button could be activated by a glove box door and the LED would light the interior of the glove box.

I'm not saying this is specifically what it is. I don't know what parts are involved with illuminating the glove box. It's just an example of what it might be for.

@Rej Padua,
Thinking about this further, is the LED actually darkened or is it clear and we're actually just seeing the dark PCB through it in the photo? If the LED case is clear, it could be a white LED instead of infrared. Also, the push button might have been activated by a mechanical mechanism instead of by a human.

If both cases are true, the part could have been for illuminating an area when a door or something is opened. For example, the button could be activated by a glove box door and the LED would light the interior of the glove box.

I'm not saying this is specifically what it is. I don't know what parts are involved with illuminating the glove box. It's just an example of what it might be for.
Yeah, I thought of that also, it really depends on if the LED is actually dark or if it's just how it looks in the photo due to relections. If it's a clear LED, there's a bunch of different assemblies it can be part of, including the door buttons, window switches, dome lights, etc.

While the recommendation may be 2 years, I prefer to replace the cabin air filter more often.. sometimes every season. There are some factors that play into it: the conditions you’re driving in (desert, etc), if the filter gets moldy or smells, miles driven, and how often you use the air. If you can do a visual inspection, it’s easy to smack some of the debris out and blow it out with compressed air. If you’re going through the trouble of accessing that area though, you may as well replace.

What is a bit counterintuitive is a clogged filter might be more effective at filtering.. at the cost of less air flow and more strain on your air system.