Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bare Aluminum Structure? Why No Protective Coatings?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems to me that the chassis and much of the under-structure of Model S (and probably Model X) is bare aluminum with no protective coating.

As a design engineer I've always seen and specified chromate conversion coatings (either a dip or spray) to reduce the possibility of corrosion and oxidation.

Alodine or Iridite are two well known brands. Can either be clear or a yellowish-straw color.

It's not very expensive and I wonder why (if I am correct) Tesla doesn't do this?

• Disagree
Reactions: bkp_duke and Topher
The sorts of alloys of aluminum used in aircraft are subject to corrosion and they are often coated with some kind of chromate to protect them, but pure aluminum is very corrosion resistant. It forms a layer of aluminum oxide and then quits corroding.

During WW II the US developed alclad for aircraft. It's an aircraft aluminum allow that is coated with pure aluminum and it protects the metal quite well from corrosion. That's why most late WW II US aircraft were bare metal, not painting them saved time and weight.

Alclad is still used on airliners built for airlines that use bare metal areas on their aircraft. American Airlines paints some of their aircraft now, but for many years left most areas of the plane in bare metal.

I doubt Tesla is using anything as soft as pure aluminum for structural components of the car but they may be using an allow that doesn't corrode or alclad on a stronger alloy.

I'll have to check when I get home, but I suspect that Tesla uses something like a clear chromic acid anodization on the aluminum parts. Its a pretty standard coating, and theoretically offers more corrosion protection than alodine.

The sorts of alloys of aluminum used in aircraft are subject to corrosion and they are often coated with some kind of chromate to protect them, but pure aluminum is very corrosion resistant. It forms a layer of aluminum oxide and then quits corroding.
Yes. Some alloys of Aluminum form their own protective oxide layer, a bit like anodizing, and a bit like the corrosion protection mechanism of stainless steel or Titanium. (Actually more like Titanium than stainless steel since the latter is an alloy where chromium forms the oxide layer.)

Metallic Aluminum is highly reactive metal, not ok to touch it. If it touches air (oxygen in the air) it will immediately oxidize to Al2O3. (Aluminium Oxide). Layer is very thin, 4nm, or 0,004um, or 0,000004 millimeters (that's 0,000004mm/25,4=inches). But it is extremely resistive to corrosion. Absolutely safe to touch. The whole roll of tin-foil is covered with oxide from both sides.

Though it is possible to very thin oxide with some more harsh chemicals, it is usually just cosmetic (it looks stained).

Wonderful! Another FUD post where someone invents some stupid thing that is possible, assumes Tesla is doing that stupid things, doesn't even check what Tesla actually does, and lambastes them for being stupid. Sigh.

Thank you kindly.

It seems to me that the chassis and much of the under-structure of Model S (and probably Model X) is bare aluminum with no protective coating.

As a design engineer I've always seen and specified chromate conversion coatings (either a dip or spray) to reduce the possibility of corrosion and oxidation.

Alodine or Iridite are two well known brands. Can either be clear or a yellowish-straw color.

It's not very expensive and I wonder why (if I am correct) Tesla doesn't do this?

You are a design "engineer" and didn't know that exposed Al formed an Al-oxide protective layer when exposed to air? Tesla uses the same principle that aircraft made of Al use, no need for an additional coating.

Time to go back to school?

You are a design "engineer" and didn't know that exposed Al formed an Al-oxide protective layer when exposed to air? Tesla uses the same principle that aircraft made of Al use, no need for an additional coating.

Time to go back to school?

In the OP's defense, as an engineer who works on aircraft, I would imagine a coating would be required where the aluminum is in contact with steel parts, either bolts, or other components. Galvanic corrosion is a real problem.

I assume (hope) Tesla has accounted for that, though.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva and arnis
In the OP's defense, as an engineer who works on aircraft, I would imagine a coating would be required where the aluminum is in contact with steel parts, either bolts, or other components. Galvanic corrosion is a real problem.

I assume (hope) Tesla has accounted for that, though.

Sure, but even the bolts in the S/X are Al. I've had both of my S's apart multiple times, and there are very few points of contact with Al and other metals.

Model 3, which is a mixture, would be something else. Be interesting to see what Tesla did there. Cannot wait to take a Model 3 apart. :)