Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Barebones Ludicrous -or- Fully Optioned Model 3 ?

What about you? Would you rather load your 3 with options or drive the fastest midsize sedan?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
with out any other options - the price difference between a base S and a P90DL is around $39k right? (Just tried to checked the site but the pricing sidebar is absent)

You really think Tesla will charge the same amount for the performance and battery options as the S on the 3? $35k+?

Options + performance might hit the $70k mark, but I doubt it. Hopefully that's the ceiling.

I would like to get the performance and a few options, but for the sake of this thread Max Performance vs Max options - I'd choose the options.
MS base vs P90D + L is $48k so having $35k is reasonable
For me P and L are not worthed. An upgraded battery and AWD with almost 300 mile range for about $10k is a great deal if we can get it for that price. For MS this upgrade is $18k.

Reactions: Chewy3
you are correct, my numbers were wrong. I still don't know if they will charge that much though

Another consideration - the M3 gets better MPKw (is that the abbreviation now instead of MPG?) than the MS - so the upgraded batteries will not have to be as large an increase to reach the same ranges, and hopefully also more economical.

What does it cost to compete in the event that the performance/cost specs just fall out of the M3 design and Gigafactory price reductions?
Good question and not simple to answer because it's not just cost involved. There are many technological constraints currently that would have to be addressed. The 2016 BMW M3 sedan weighs 3600lbs. The performance specs for that market set a very high standard - braking, skidpad, top speed, acceleration, suspension all factor in to the overall package. That is, not just a 0-60 or 1/4mi time. In addition, sportscars are intended to be driven hard. However, current EVs, including Teslas, tend to overheat when driven hard.

Checked the second box since there was only two choices. I can be very happy with a 0-60 time of 6 seconds. Maybe a battery upgrade and air suspension along with a metal roof and possibly convenience autopilot. As Elon stated, the base Model 3 will be a very nice car.
I would never buy a "fully optioned" vehicle. Tax credit would be nice but I am not planning on it.

He is. Most people in the Model 3 market segment would rather buy 2 Model 3's for that amount of money. Predicting ludicrous 3 will cost over 70k WITHOUT any options is... well... just ludicrous ;)

Don't think so. Base Model S RWD is $71,500. Ludicrous Model S is $119,500. That's a 67% increase assuming no options.

First, a $35,000 Model 3 will never see the light of day. Ever. I just don't see it happening unless they offer vinyl seats, crank windows, and an AM radio.

2 battery jumps, AWD, and a Ludicrous upgrade will be significantly higher than $19,000. Remember, accountants make and price cars. Engineers do not.

We'll chat again in 2019 or so. I'll gladly eat crow if necessary. Will you?

Ok everyone... I'm embarrassed to admit that when I ran the numbers this morning I didn't notice I had dual motor checked on the base 70D, so yes there is a 48k dollar difference between the P90D with ludicrous mode and the BASE base model. SO... that is a 67% cost of the base price for the Model S, so we then take 67% and multiply it by 35,000... and get 23,496 dollars. Add those two together and AS FAR AS WE CAN GUESS at this point in time, ONE WOULD ASSUME that to get a Ludicrous Model 3 you would need to spend AT LEAST $58,496 dollars.

THIS IS STILL nowhere near the 70k that some have been guessing, and if you waited in line you will possibly get the 7500 dollar tax credit, or the 6month follow up tax credit once that one expires of about $3,750 . That means it's quite possible you could have a BMW M3 DESTROYING Ludicrous model 3 for only around $51,000 to $54,750 !!! AND LET ME TELL YOU... I'm willing to wager that the L model 3 will have a SUB 2.8 second 0-60 time... you heard it here first folks. ALL THAT TO SAY... I realize now I should have simplified this thread to a simple - "Would you put more of your money into options or performance on your Model 3?"

Oh well... live and learn. But I've really enjoyed the banter.

Don't think so. Base Model S RWD is $71,500. Ludicrous Model S is $119,500. That's a 67% increase assuming no options.

First, a $35,000 Model 3 will never see the light of day. Ever. I just don't see it happening unless they offer vinyl seats, crank windows, and an AM radio.

2 battery jumps, AWD, and a Ludicrous upgrade will be significantly higher than $19,000. Remember, accountants make and price cars. Engineers do not.

We'll chat again in 2019 or so. I'll gladly eat crow if necessary. Will you?
Gladly. We'll wait to see who has to eat it to decide whether they cook it Sous Vide or the old fashioned way. ;)
upload_2016-5-28_19-57-8.png

Good point. The problem I have is personal. I want to beat everyone off the line.
Either way, if you really want performance, go get a separate vehicle for that purpose and take the racing to a track. Anyone can punch the accelerator in a straight line - it doesn't take a man to do that. Public roads impose risk on others who aren't signing up for that risk. I hope I don't come off as too much of a prude, but once you spend time racing on a track in a dedicated racing environment, driving fast on the street loses most of its appeal. There's always some adrenaline, but it's not worth it. The ability to use anything more than what comes in the base Model 3 will be limited in opportunity anyway. Most "real" racers I know drive cars with the idea of utility (hauling their karts or track cars, kids, etc.) rather than trying to beat someone from a stop light.

I'm hoping to more comfort and range upgrades myself. In fact, I'd be happy with slightly less powerful motors if Elon provides an option. Either 6 second RWD or 7 second AWD, same price? I'd take that 7 second AWD in a heart beat. In reality, I'm likely going to have to pay a pretty penny to get the AWD, because I'm guessing it'll have the same rear motor but an additional front motor.

My only point? Save your Ludicrous mode money for a real track kart or car where you can learn to race. A Tesla is not the platform on which to learn to race.

Last edited:
Reactions: melindav
Ok everyone... I'm embarrassed to admit that when I ran the numbers this morning I didn't notice I had dual motor checked on the base 70D, so yes there is a 48k dollar difference between the P90D with ludicrous mode and the BASE base model. SO... that is a 67% cost of the base price for the Model S, so we then take 67% and multiply it by 35,000... and get 23,496 dollars. Add those two together and AS FAR AS WE CAN GUESS at this point in time, ONE WOULD ASSUME that to get a Ludicrous Model 3 you would need to spend AT LEAST $58,496 dollars.

THIS IS STILL nowhere near the 70k that some have been guessing, and if you waited in line you will possibly get the 7500 dollar tax credit, or the 6month follow up tax credit once that one expires of about $3,750 . That means it's quite possible you could have a BMW M3 DESTROYING Ludicrous model 3 for only around $51,000 to $54,750 !!! AND LET ME TELL YOU... I'm willing to wager that the L model 3 will have a SUB 2.8 second 0-60 time... you heard it here first folks. ALL THAT TO SAY... I realize now I should have simplified this thread to a simple - "Would you put more of your money into options or performance on your Model 3?"

Oh well... live and learn. But I've really enjoyed the banter.

At this point I would give up options to fund performance. However all this is based on speculation, we know very little about the final version, specs, and pricing of the M3. Maybe there will be some unknown cool options that I would rather have, but right now my sights are set on ludicrous.

Add those two together and AS FAR AS WE CAN GUESS at this point in time, ONE WOULD ASSUME that to get a Ludicrous Model 3 you would need to spend AT LEAST $58,496 dollars.

I have no idea why you think that smart fuses are cheaper when you put them in a cheaper car. There are probably some things which can be cheaper, perhaps the upgraded battery is actually fewer batteries, but that certainly doesn't work for all those parts.

Adding $48,000 to $35,000 gives $83,000 which is probably a bit too high, but how much? Tesla needs to make a high volume, low priced car. They don't need to make the Ludicrous version cheap in order to do that, in fact, it works against that goal. I don't think one should ever bet on Tesla working against that goal.

Thank you kindly.

Reactions: Jaff and melindav
They need to work on many other things besides drag times if they want to compete with the M3. Won't be easy and I doubt they are interested.

I agree they are not interested and the majority of the people is not interested. Only a few people go to the road course and the majority people only care about 0-60 times...

Hopefully the M3 PXXL will have a sub 3 second 0-60mph... If the can get 90kw out the batteries, I don't see why not

Either way, if you really want performance, go get a separate vehicle for that purpose and take the racing to a track. Anyone can punch the accelerator in a straight line - it doesn't take a man to do that. Public roads impose risk on others who aren't signing up for that risk. I hope I don't come off as too much of a prude, but once you spend time racing on a track in a dedicated racing environment, driving fast on the street loses most of its appeal. There's always some adrenaline, but it's not worth it. The ability to use anything more than what comes in the base Model 3 will be limited in opportunity anyway. Most "real" racers I know drive cars with the idea of utility (hauling their karts or track cars, kids, etc.) rather than trying to beat someone from a stop light.

I'm hoping to more comfort and range upgrades myself. In fact, I'd be happy with slightly less powerful motors if Elon provides an option. Either 6 second RWD or 7 second AWD, same price? I'd take that 7 second AWD in a heart beat. In reality, I'm likely going to have to pay a pretty penny to get the AWD, because I'm guessing it'll have the same rear motor but an additional front motor.

My only point? Save your Ludicrous mode money for a real track kart or car where you can learn to race. A Tesla is not the platform on which to learn to race.

I still want to beat everyone off the line. I'm not trying to get to a finish line....I just want to beat folks off the line. I'm in Chicago...I don't think I will pose any threat to you.

If Tesla sells it to me....I'm going to buy it. sorry.