Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Barebones Ludicrous -or- Fully Optioned Model 3 ?

What about you? Would you rather load your 3 with options or drive the fastest midsize sedan?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still want to beat everyone off the line. I'm not trying to get to a finish line....I just want to beat folks off the line. I'm in Chicago...I don't think I will pose any threat to you.

If Tesla sells it to me....I'm going to buy it. sorry.

I'm much more concerned with 1/4 mile time than a stop light run or 0-60 times:)
i'm hoping to see low 12's or better

Last edited:
I have no idea why you think that smart fuses are cheaper when you put them in a cheaper car. There are probably some things which can be cheaper, perhaps the upgraded battery is actually fewer batteries, but that certainly doesn't work for all those parts.

Adding $48,000 to $35,000 gives $83,000 which is probably a bit too high, but how much? Tesla needs to make a high volume, low priced car. They don't need to make the Ludicrous version cheap in order to do that, in fact, it works against that goal. I don't think one should ever bet on Tesla working against that goal.

Thank you kindly.
Ok Topher... you're missing a big point sir... the cost of upgrading to the P90D is NOT about the fuze, it's all about the size of the battery... and number of cells therein. JB Straubel and Musk have already discussed on the earnings calls that the 3 could quite possibly have much less than a 60kw battery (the base model) so when upgrading to ludicrous on the 3 you are paying for a lot less battery if say the max size was a 60kw battery (up 20kw from a 40kw base(remember, the S had a 40kw battery that could almost do 200 miles), like the 90D is 20kw bigger than the 70). It is also a smaller car, so takes less battery to move it. Elons biggest goal with the Gigafactory and with building the Model 3 is to drive down the COST of the battery and cell production, so before you say that a model 3 will cost that much, please consider that the 60kw battery with an upgraded fuse could very possibly cost $58,000.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chewy3
People enjoy the visceral thrill that some car features like handling and acceleration provide. Also people's driving ability often exceeds what a car can offer. A more capable car is "better" than a less capable car simply because limitations that the customer is aware of will always be considered constraining. In some circumstances having a certain amount of acceleration on tap can be considered a safety feature.
Some people may throw up at a certain speed which others can easily manage.

Regardless of how the pricing shakes out, if your choices are all-out creature comforts or all-out speed, go for the comfort. Ludicrous Mode you'll only be able to use on rare occasions. Comfortable seats, quality sound, extended range, et al you'll be able to use every time you drive the car.

The car portion of my commute is only 8 miles round trip now.

I'm kinda torn on where I should put my money.

When the configurator comes out, I'll just start checking boxes and see what makes the most sense.

Ok Topher... you're missing a big point sir... the cost of upgrading to the P90D is NOT about the fuze, it's all about the size of the battery... and number of cells therein

I understand that fine. but the P90D does NOT have ludicrous mode. Ludicrous is a separate option, with upgraded fuses, and a $10,000 price tag, above and beyond P90D price, and it includes NO batteries.

Thank you kindly.

Reactions: Jaff
The majority of people couldn't care less about 0-60 times. Personally, I have accelerated at full throttle from 0-60 once in my entire life. And that was to save my entire life.

Thank you kindly.

I can't help but wonder what it was that required you to go full throttle from 0-60 to save your life? Did someone have a hit out on you? Or were you escaping from an exploding building Hollywood-style? :)

Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
I can't help but wonder what it was that required you to go full throttle from 0-60 to save your life? Did someone have a hit out on you? Or were you escaping from an exploding building Hollywood-style? :)

there are some antiquated on/off-ramp layouts in New England where that would come in useful.

But likely not where Topher is.

You're welcome kindly.

Reactions: DrivingTheFuture