Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Barebones Ludicrous -or- Fully Optioned Model 3 ?

What about you? Would you rather load your 3 with options or drive the fastest midsize sedan?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've done some basic math and since it is approx 43 percent increase in cost to upgrade an S from a 70D to a P90D, I calculated that a Ludicrous 3 should cost about 15k more than the base 35k starting price ( 50,000 without options ). Now, I'm allowing myself a guilt free budget of at least $7,500 for upgrades since I will hopefully get the tax credit ( I was first in line at my tesla store on reveal day) , so now I'm asking myself , would I be willing to spend just 7 or 8 thousand more and have a Ludicrous model 3 but forgo the options I want ( leather seats, high fidelity sound system, supercharger access, full autonomous mode upgrade, and 20" wheels) ? Right now I'm thinking I'd be willing... feasibly I could upgrade most of those other options at a later date.

Your math is deeply flawed. You can't assume a % discount on options. Also, you are expecting to get awd for free? That will be another $5k. And even a P90D doesn't include Ludicrous. It's a $10k option. So, don't expect to see any bargain ludicrous capable cars.
I don't expect it to be a bargain by any means, but now that my math is correct, with my 7500 bonus money I'm already giving myself, it would only cost me an additional $11,500 to have one of the fastest cars on the road. And why do you assume I'm expecting to get AWD for free???

Meh. I think your math is way off. Extrapolating the current offering, I believe Ludicrous will be over $70K. You're short about $20K.
I don't feel the need to defend my math or logic any further. Tesla's website proves it, plus I worked in the financial industry in the past, and currently work at an internet company where I am intimately familiar with pricing practices across a wide range of product lines. Time will tell, but I'd be willing to bet a pretty penny that when Model 3 Ludicrous option is revealed, with NO additional options ticked, the car will cost right around 55k. Anyways this is more of a post to determine where res holders are most wanting to spend their hard earned money, on performance, or on options.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lunarx
Performance and Options for me. Not to the tune of $70K though. That just puts this car outside of its class IMHO.

I heard that the MS funded the M3. Maybe that's what made the MS overpriced in its class.

What is the M3 funding? If the answer is nothing......then maybe the price structure of the M3 as compared to the MS would be different. I surely hope so.

Regardless of how the pricing shakes out, if your choices are all-out creature comforts or all-out speed, go for the comfort. Ludicrous Mode you'll only be able to use on rare occasions. Comfortable seats, quality sound, extended range, et al you'll be able to use every time you drive the car.

Good point. The problem I have is personal. I want to beat everyone off the line.

Regardless of how the pricing shakes out, if your choices are all-out creature comforts or all-out speed, go for the comfort. Ludicrous Mode you'll only be able to use on rare occasions. Comfortable seats, quality sound, extended range, et al you'll be able to use every time you drive the car.
You mean those rare occasions when I'm rushing to work every morning? ;) In all seriousness though, you make a good point. Thanks for the input...

In my mind (granted severely warped at times) Ludicrous mode is the most expensive 3 tenths of a second to be found. Have you driven a regular P90? So quick it will make you ill. Certainly plenty fast for me. To think of all the options you could get for that .3 seconds...hmmmmm...

No thanks, I'll take the options, thank you very much.

Dan

In my mind (granted severely warped at times) Ludicrous mode is the most expensive 3 tenths of a second to be found. Have you driven a regular P90? So quick it will make you ill. Certainly plenty fast for me. To think of all the options you could get for that .3 seconds...hmmmmm...

No thanks, I'll take the options, thank you very much.

Dan
You may have just solved my dilemma... you make a very valid point. I've driven the 70D, a regular 85, a P85, and a P90DL... I bet if you had me drive a P90D and a P90DL, I wouldn't be able to tell you which is which. Thanks for saving me 10 grand!

Reactions: Dan Detweiler
One more thing to keep in mind. There probably won't be anything like a "bare bones" Ludicrous. Remember, with the Model S you have to get the biggest battery and dual motors. That in and of itself is a big step up in price...and that's before you add the 10K for Ludicrous.

Dan
Right. I'm just going off of the minimum you currently have to spend to get that speed on tesla.com , it does come with some nice upgrades (i.e. supercharging would likely be included in the 3 like it is on the S) and more range, etc.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lunarx
One more thing to keep in mind. There probably won't be anything like a "bare bones" Ludicrous. Remember, with the Model S you have to get the biggest battery and dual motors. That in and of itself is a big step up in price...and that's before you add the 10K for Ludicrous.

Dan
As others have said in this forum, the options maybe bundled to keep the costs down for a mass production car. I am in the same boat of having a limited budget and having to want all luxury and performance goodies. I love speed and acceleration but I think I would be very happy with 0-60 of 4.5 which under my pricing would be $49k and no need to go to the performance and ludicrous expense. I still don't know if I would pick the "FAST" or the Luxury package. I can't have both though!

1. Base $35k
2. Premium $39k (nav, power seats, heated seats, LED interior, keyless entry, instrument panel, dimming mirrors)
3. Premium "FAST" $49k (AWD, battery)
4. Premium Luxury $49k (auto pilot, wheels, paint, sunroof, leather, sport seats, LED headlights, hifi)
5. Premium Luxury "FAST" $59k
Plus options:
Air suspension $2k
Performance $15k
Ludicrous $5k
subzero $1k
Total $82k

Reactions: Raindog1