Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Barstow to Sacramento

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All of my long-distance driving so far has been through flyover country where empty Superchargers is the norm. On this first trip to the Land of Many Teslas, I'm curious whether there are any non-obvious reasons to prefer going up 99 rather than taking I-5. I've already ruled out EVTripplanner's suggestion to run up the east side of the mountains to Reno, mainly due to weather at this time of year and not wanting to get stuck on the wrong side of Donner Pass if there's a storm.

I'm driving a non-AP P85 with a single charger, if that matters..,

Thanks

I-5 should be faster than the 99, and you'd have more options for supercharging. Now that we have superchargers in Gustine, Buttonwillow, and Bakersfield as well as Harris Ranch and Tejon, I don't worry much about I-5.

I'd only take 99 if I wanted to stop somewhere along the way, maybe as a way to break up the trip into two days. But if you get an early start I think it's a reasonable drive for one day. Even if I wanted to take two days I'd spend the night somewhere around San Luis Obispo, so I'd still take I-5.

5 is faster as long as it doesn't get backed up. 99 is preferable over I-5 on any sort of holiday situation. It's also a prettier drive if you're traveling during the day, and often more relaxed. No clue about charging, however. This is from my ICE experience.

Check the Caltrans road information page for construction and other such delays: Division of Traffic Operations - Road Information - California Highway Information

• Helpful
Reactions: mblakele
You could easily go from Barstow, to Mojave, to Fresno, to Manteca, to Sacramento. Going Hwy 58 to 99 over Tehachapi is a nice drive. I live just east of Sacramento, and this is always my preferred route when I head to Arizona or parts east. Once you arrive in Sacramento, you have a choice of four superchargers. Two near Folsom, California, and two near Roseville California. The Rocklin one just east of Roseville, has a Tesla show room and service center. All four locations have amenities nearby.
The drive along the backside of the Sierras is wonderful. I understand the weather concerns, but if you could time it, you would really enjoy it.

Reactions: MrJones390
Thanks for all of the feedback!

@Nosken -- I may try returning along the back side if the weather looks right...
If you go the backside see if you can charge enough at Topaz lake and then take HW88 to HW89 (Luther Pass) and then US 50 to Sacto. This way you can stop at either of the Folsom superchargers to recharge before you get to Sacto.

I would not recommend doing this during a snow storm though. If you do that route there is a HPWC at Sorensens resort at HW88/HW89 that is for their guests. You could call and see if getting a meal qualifies as a guest. Its a real nice place and romantic, if that helps. :)

• Informative
Reactions: snellenr
I live in Fresno. I may be biased. :eek: Mojave to Fresno to Manteca along SR99 would be my preference. The speed limit is 70 on 99 from Bakersfield to downtown Fresno, plus bits and pieces north of Fresno until Merced. The Fresno SC is 2 minutes off 99, and there are plenty of places to eat plus a Target and other stores. You will need over 90% charge at Mojave to reach Fresno in comfort, but you only need to charge to < 150 RM to reach Manteca from Fresno. I use between 28-30 kWh to go from home to Manteca, but my lifetime wh/mile is at 281. If you choose this, plan to eat at Chili's in Barstow and fill up as much as possible. There is not much at Mojave except for Anthony's. Even though your charging rate will be slow, you likely will only need 20 minutes at Mojave to reach 95%. You can grab a beer at Anthony's while charging.

I agree that Interstate 5 has more charging opportunities with Buttonwillow, Bakersfield West, Harris Ranch and Santa Nella. But I-5 frequently has more truck traffic too. Anecdotally the Chippies are more prevalent on 5 than on 99. Furthermore, the segment from Bakersfield to I-5 is not freeway.

But I really like the above suggestion to take 395. It is an easier, more relaxing drive. I am sure you have some sort of weather app for your phone. Just check it out a few hours before you depart Barstow. Whether you take Interstate 80 over Donner Summit, or the more scenic Topaz-Minden-SR88 into California--north on SR89 at Pickett's Junction to Meyers and then west on US50, you will have a more pleasant drive. And this second route avoids Reno.

Enjoy!