Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Basic autopilot price now for AP1 Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew what it would cost to add basic autopilot to a 2016 Model S that I'm looking to purchase from a private seller. They did not add this feature but I would like to have it. I know there was a promotion for $2,000 last year but is this still available? Thanks.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew what it would cost to add basic autopilot to a 2016 Model S that I'm looking to purchase from a private seller. They did not add this feature but I would like to have it. I know there was a promotion for $2,000 last year but is this still available? Thanks.

It used to cost $2,500 if you paid before delivery or $3,000 after delivery.

I haven’t done it this year but did it two years ago and it cost around €3k here in EU. So it is possible to purchase, just ask any service agent or sales person in the store. As already stated in the other discussion if you have the car on your name you can reserve service time for this via Tesla app. Mine is also AP1 03/2016 car.

Based on my best recollection.....Being an AP1 era car, it's unfortunately not a feature that can be added after the fact. Back in 2014 through the early part of 2016, it was part of the $3,000 "Technology Package". That was back in the day when Tesla actually offered various options, AP1 capability being one of them. The Technology Package included a host of other items with it, including the powered rear hatch, full navigation with live traffic and some other items.

The late 2016 cars were changed to the multiple camera setup for AP2.

I can't recall if Tesla still built-in the cameras for AP1 if the Technology Package wasn't opted for. Does your car have a camera in the front windshield above the rear view mirror? If not, then there's certainly no chance of adding it. If it is there, then maybe there's a slight chance that I'm not aware of.

If by chance I am wrong, (I don't think so though as I do specifically remember that being the primary reason I upgraded from my prior 2013 Model S to the 2015 Model S, to get AP1). You can check your Tesla account. (Don't know how new you are to Tesla and if you've been to your Tesla account from the website, so I'll spell it out, just in case you haven't yet). Assuming you've already registered your car with Tesla to let them know you own it (if you have access to your car from the Tesla app, then you are set up with a Tesla Account). From Tesla's website (www.tesla.com) (Not sure if you can access this from the app). But on the website, click "account" (top right of screen) and sign in. Then click on the "manage" button under your car. The page it takes you to should have a blue button titled "buy upgrades" directly below the image of your car. Click on that and it will show you the options you can purchase for your car (that you don't already have). I know for AP2 cars, you can purchase FSD from that link, along with other software related upgrades. "IF" you have the option to add AP1 after the fact, then that's where the option to purchase would be. If it's there, it will give you the price and the option to purchase the feature. If you buy it, then your car will automatically receive the upgrade purchased.

Did the owner give you the original window sticker for the car? If so, check to see if your car came with the Technology package. If it did, then your car should have AP1 enabled. If it's not, then call Tesla and ask them to activate it. Tesla has been known, at least on newer cars that they took in on trades or end of lease, to remove Full Self Driving or Enhanced Auto Pilot capabilities. I don't know if they pulled that with AP1 cars. I don't recall hearing that they ever did. Another sign to check for is if your navigation reflects live traffic? If it does (green, yellow or red lines on the map for traffic), then that would be an indication that your car has the Technology Package. I would say, if your car has the auto open/close rear hatch, that would be another indication, but if I remember correctly, Tesla did start offering that feature as a standalone option. Lighted door handles I believe was another feature of the Tech Package as well. If you have lighted door handles (when they present themselves), then your car would appear to have the tech package.

That's all to my best recollection from 5+ years ago. Hopefully it helps to some degree. If all else fails, try calling Tesla and ask them. Although, they can be very difficult to reach by phone. If you have a Tesla Service Center near you and you believe that your car does have the Technology Package, then I'd go into the Service Center to ask them.

One last thing to check, if you haven't already and if you believe the car has the tech package, is to go through the menu on your screen and see if there's an option to enable Auto Pilot. If the car has it, while unlikely, could be as simple as it not being enabled in the car itself.

Reactions: Dreier
Ask the seller to check the upgrades section on the app or Tesla account, the price should be shown there.

Reactions: Jpandes and KyleDay
If by chance I am wrong, (I don't think so though as I do specifically remember that being the primary reason I upgraded from my prior 2013 Model S to the 2015 Model S, to get AP1). You can check your Tesla account. (Don't know how new you are to Tesla and if you've been to your Tesla account from the website, so I'll spell it out, just in case you haven't yet). Assuming you've already registered your car with Tesla to let them know you own it (if you have access to your car from the Tesla app, then you are set up with a Tesla Account). From Tesla's website (www.tesla.com) (Not sure if you can access this from the app). But on the website, click "account" (top right of screen) and sign in. Then click on the "manage" button under your car. The page it takes you to should have a blue button titled "buy upgrades" directly below the image of your car. Click on that and it will show you the options you can purchase for your car (that you don't already have). I know for AP2 cars, you can purchase FSD from that link, along with other software related upgrades. "IF" you have the option to add AP1 after the fact, then that's where the option to purchase would be. If it's there, it will give you the price and the option to purchase the feature. If you buy it, then your car will automatically receive the upgrade purchased.
Why can’t you ask from the seller this same thing that @kizamybute' suggest for you? They will see the price for activating AP1. My car had only front radar and camera, none of the other technology packet gadgets so it has no limitations.

I'm sorry, I wrote my message based on the assumption that you already owned the car. My mistake. As I was trying provide the info, must have forgotten the portion that indicated you were looking to purchase. As other's have suggested, yes, the current owner / seller should be able to follow the same advice to determine.