Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery balancing worked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like a pretty useful piece of information to me. I wouldn't worry about it on a day to day basis, but I do a lot of long distance driving and it would be reason for concern for me if I saw a >20mi swing in my maximum range. Personally, I prefer rated miles view, because it gives two pieces of information instead of only one. You can visually see the state of charge (albeit less accurately) based on how full the icon is and you can see how many kWh the BMS thinks are in the battery based on the rated range. Showing percentage only gives one data point and it sounds like in the OPs case the battery was misreading capacity by several kWh. If I could switch the view to kWh instead of miles or percentage, I'd do that instead.

It would be helpful if the car also alerted you to excessive cell imbalance and suggested an overnight balancing charge to remedy it. My Zero SR app shows the cell imbalance value, which is pretty key to knowing if you're going to have an early battery shutdown as you get into the 10% or less range.

Yeah I just got fed up of the inaccurate rated range. I know a lot of people switch it to a simple percentage and use the energy page and nav for more accurate real world range calculations. My daily charge point is 80% and I only charge higher if I'm going on a longer trip. So I don't expect I will have any battery degradation issues to worry about.

When range is critical I just put the destination in the nav and observe the calculated battery state at the end. It is usually pretty accurate (within a percent or 2) unlike the rated range, which is wildly optimistic even when set to "typical". It certainly isn't my typical driving!

When range is critical I just put the destination in the nav and observe the calculated battery state at the end. It is usually pretty accurate (within a percent or 2) unlike the rated range, which is wildly optimistic even when set to "typical". It certainly isn't my typical driving!
Agree with using the predicted battery percentage at destination-- I find it very accurate as well. But what do you mean by setting rated range to "typical"? There is no such setting. Rated range is the range on the EPA test cycle. It isn't something you can adjust. It doesn't profess to be your typical driving, any more than the mileage advertised in an ICE car. As they say, YMMV.

Agree with using the predicted battery percentage at destination-- I find it very accurate as well. But what do you mean by setting rated range to "typical"? There is no such setting. Rated range is the range on the EPA test cycle. It isn't something you can adjust. It doesn't profess to be your typical driving, any more than the mileage advertised in an ICE car. As they say, YMMV.

UK spec is different. Because the official Euro WLTP rating is ridiculous, they added a second "typical" setting for us which is probably the US EPA rating or something very similar.

Also keep in mind that if you are using an app like TM-SPY you can see if the battery is out of balance. This charging procedure calibrates the BMS. The car is always trying to maintain battery balance while charging.
On the low-end, even if you think your BMS is accurate, If rated range remaining is getting low and you see a power limit then do not trust the BMS, the battery will be lower than you think. Bjorn has demonstrated this several times.

Where did I say I didn’t read entire post ? Try paying attention next time ...once he reached a 100% charge there was no need to continue charging ..complete waste of resources half empty or not

Actually, that is the worst time to unplug, while in the middle of rebalancing. Always try to finish the charge you started regardless of the target SOC.

My X had 297 miles when new last September but had degraded to 274 miles recently. Seemed like a lot of degradation, so I wanted to see if balancing would work. The info on the forums seems a little old and unclear as to whether it works, so posting to confirm that.... IT DOES!

I drove to about 8% range and then supercharged. Once it hit 100%, it didn't stop but instead went into "calculating" mode. Charge was still flowing at 10kw. It flowed for a few minutes and then stepped down to 9kw. This continued for another 40 minutes until it stepped finally stepped down to 1kw (the supercharger was half empty so wasn't making anyone wait).

The range still displayed as 274 miles, but I drove about 7 miles very aggressively before it went down to 273 miles. Not sure when the displayed range calculation will update but it seems Iike there was about 10-14 miles of extra rated range in there. I'll try balancing it out a few more times this month to see if there's any more.

2017 MX 100D and i have same range showing.. Mines done 34K miles.. Ill try this out.. thanks a bunch for posting..