Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Capped?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
picked up my new Model S on Thursday......driven 100 miles......did math and looks shows battery capacity at < 97%....charged to 90% today....will continue to monitor but I know it is 100kW battery.....cant be degraded already is two days.....am I being pre-mature in judgment?

picked up my new Model S on Thursday......driven 100 miles......did math and looks shows battery capacity at < 97%....charged to 90% today....will continue to monitor but I know it is 100kW battery.....cant be degraded already is two days.....am I being pre-mature in judgment?

Your post doesn’t contain enough information for any reasonable analysis.

That said - no, your battery is not “capped”. No, it is not “degraded”. There is nothing wrong with your car and nothing for Tesla to fix.

Keep driving and enjoy your new car.

the numbers of the Model S are picked quite arbitary which is why Tesla also stopped advertising the kwh number since they are inaccurate.
It caused some confusion before, I cant remember the exact details, but the S75 had more of a 78kwh battery, wheras the S85 was actually a 82kwh battery only which made the difference minute. Hence LR and SR is more appropriate.

The typical range you see is just calculated by the BMS. The only way to see your true capacity is to drain the battery down to 0% and charge up to 100% using fast charging and look how many kwh you can fit into the battery.

My Model 3 shows exactly 250km at 50% (which is like 100.5% battery capacity) but at 100% it only shows 493km.
My highest charge cycle was done on just a standard outlet where I charged from 4% to 100% which fed 73.05kwh into the battery for a total capacity of 76kwh and I have also done one DC charge from 12% to 85% which added 55.7kwh into the battery, again suggesting a capacity of 76kwh - slightly weird as during the slow charge which took like 35 hours the battery would still need to top up the 12V for sentry mode/charging mode but for some reason it is consistent with the DC fast charge. The charging/sentry computer can only use energy from the 12V battery which for 35h of charging should consume almost 9kwh. Maybe the car accounts for that while charging and hence it is not displayed... I might do a test where I charge at 1 amp / 240W for a day and see what happens.

So as you can see it is not 100% accurate.

the numbers of the Model S are picked quite arbitary which is why Tesla also stopped advertising the kwh number since they are inaccurate.
It caused some confusion before, I cant remember the exact details, but the S75 had more of a 78kwh battery, wheras the S85 was actually a 82kwh battery only which made the difference minute. Hence LR and SR is more appropriate.

The typical range you see is just calculated by the BMS. The only way to see your true capacity is to drain the battery down to 0% and charge up to 100% using fast charging and look how many kwh you can fit into the battery.

My Model 3 shows exactly 250km at 50% (which is like 100.5% battery capacity) but at 100% it only shows 493km.
My highest charge cycle was done on just a standard outlet where I charged from 4% to 100% which fed 73.05kwh into the battery for a total capacity of 76kwh and I have also done one DC charge from 12% to 85% which added 55.7kwh into the battery, again suggesting a capacity of 76kwh - slightly weird as during the slow charge which took like 35 hours the battery would still need to top up the 12V for sentry mode/charging mode but for some reason it is consistent with the DC fast charge. The charging/sentry computer can only use energy from the 12V battery which for 35h of charging should consume almost 9kwh. Maybe the car accounts for that while charging and hence it is not displayed... I might do a test where I charge at 1 amp / 240W for a day and see what happens.

So as you can see it is not 100% accurate.
thanks for the response...yes, it is confusing.....it compounds itself as the wife’s new model 3 calculates out as 75kW.....mmm