Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery cell: operating temperature ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the standard operating temperature for the battery cell?

I live in Bangkok where it's 30c (80F) to 38c (100F) all year round. It seems like the car keeps the battery cells at a 41-43c (105-110F) target during operation. The car ramps up the battery inlet temp when the battery cell temp is lower, then lower the inlet temp when the battery cell is at 105-110F.
\
Also would like to ask experts on the relation between the inlet temp and cell temp. Would love to know are they related?

Ive been using the S3xy buttons dashboard app to view the temps and sometime use scanmytesla

IMG_7584.PNG

The car always trying to keep the battery at 105F to 110F seems a but high for me. Would love to know your thoughts

Living in Albuquerque, I see a broader range of temperatures than you do. I do not see the car standardizing the battery temperature, except when it is actively conditioning the battery in preparation for a Supercharger set as the destination.

For example, now it is fall, with medium temperatures for our location. I may leave my garage and drive 5 miles while losing 1000 feet in elevation to some typical destination in-town. This uses right about zero net power, with propulsion and housekeeping consumption balanced to elevation loss regeneration. If I leave the garage with the battery reporting a mid-cell temperature as displayed on Scanmytesla of 18C, that is what it arrives at. As that is a bit cool, I see restricted max Regen (as reported to ScanMyTesla) even if the battery is well below 100% SOC.

Returning home, the battery temperature rises (and max Regen rises as well). But at this time of year in my around-town drives, that rarely gets above about 24C.

If the car is "just letting the temperature happen" then the battery temperature will be well above ambient in equilibrium, as conduction losses in the battery structure and imperfect conversion in the battery chemistry mean normal operation is heating the battery, which must be matched by energy lost to the ambient air.

I doubt you are seeing the car actively working to maintain the temperatures you see.

There is a benefit to you of the temperature being a bit higher than you might expect, which is that you probably enjoy the capped regeneration limit (85 kWatts in both my 2023 model 3 RSD and 2022 model Y LR) a much higher fraction of the time than I do. That should reduce your brake wear and improve your drive power efficiency compared to those of us operating in colder ambient temperatures.