Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery charged over the set limit ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

My wife charged our model 3 LR at work all day. At the end of the day, she found that it's charged to 305 miles and there was a warning about charging to too higher a level.

I set the charging limit to 80% from day 1 and it had been always charged to around 280 miles until today. Toward the end of the day, my wife and I receive a notification from ChargePoint (that's charging station vendor at work) that M3 is drawing very low current and it must be fully charged, but my wife didn't today.

My wife didn't touch the charging limit and I checked the charging setting on my app and in the car. Both indicate that the limit is set below the level our M3 was charged to today. See the attached image. The green bar is way to the right of the white line (the charging limit).

I'm not worried too much about charging too high a level as long as it's at/below 100%. However, I'm worried about a potential software issue that may not stop charging even at 100%.

Has anybody seen this issue?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190907-052129.png
    Screenshot_20190907-052129.png
    580.8 KB · Views: 172
  • Informative
Reactions: beachmiles
Hi,

My wife charged our model 3 LR at work all day. At the end of the day, she found that it's charged to 305 miles and there was a warning about charging to too higher a level.

I set the charging limit to 80% from day 1 and it had been always charged to around 280 miles until today. Toward the end of the day, my wife and I receive a notification from ChargePoint (that's charging station vendor at work) that M3 is drawing very low current and it must be fully charged, but my wife didn't today.

My wife didn't touch the charging limit and I checked the charging setting on my app and in the car. Both indicate that the limit is set below the level our M3 was charged to today. See the attached image. The green bar is way to the right of the white line (the charging limit).

I'm not worried too much about charging too high a level as long as it's at/below 100%. However, I'm worried about a potential software issue that may not stop charging even at 100%.

Has anybody seen this issue?
Mine charges 1 or 2 % over the set limit. It started to happen lately following one of the latest software update.

Thank you for the reply, but it's way over than 1~2% over the set limit. It's almost 10% over the set limit ( 270-80 miles vs 305 miles).
I suspect that it'd kept on going if my wife had not unplugged it at the end of the day (to return home).

In addition, a warning message about charging too much was displayed. The warning message also recommended that the charging limit be set to less than 100% although the the limit had been set to 80% since day 1.

I do not think that causes a reboot.

It has been very common since I got my S in 2012 that software updates have caused anomalies that were cured with reboot. So, that is always first course of action when something weird happens, particularly after software update.
I could very well be wrong but when you turn off the car it is like turning of a computer or restarting it. With car, if you do the thing with the button, it will reboot the screen but the car is still running, you could actually do it while driving. So I suppose that turning off the car is a more complete reboot.

I could very well be wrong but when you turn off the car it is like turning of a computer or restarting it. With car, if you do the thing with the button, it will reboot the screen but the car is still running, you could actually do it while driving. So I suppose that turning off the car is a more complete reboot.
I was trying to be polite. You are wrong. Turning car off does NOT reboot MCU. Only way to do that is the thumbwheels.

In addition, a warning message about charging too much was displayed. The warning message also recommended that the charging limit be set to less than 100% although the the limit had been set to 80% since day 1.
I can't find this in the owner's manual, but others have reported this message occurs after some series of consecutive charging attempts above 90%. By itself, it's no cause for concern. In your case, it shows the car really thinks you've set the charge limit somewhere above 90% (and based on your description, probably thinks it's set to 100%).

That slider bar to set the charge limit is really clumsy. I wonder if maybe a phantom touch occurred when you last set it, so that while it displays your intended setting, it really thinks it's set to 100% (or thereabouts).