TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Battery Concerns?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by avaghela, Mar 26, 2018.

1. avaghela

avaghela Member

Hi

I just took delivery on Fri of a 2013 P85+ - love the ride!

Before we left Fremont, the car had 205-miles, and over the weekend we drove 90-miles, and now it shows 83-miles left. So is the 32-miles degradation? Comforts like AC was OFF majority of the time.

Today I'll charge to 90% and see the range.

Thoughts?

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

What range scale are you set to, is the first thing to check. This is why people use percent and not miles.. :D

3. avaghela

avaghela Member

When I picked up Tesla charged to 80%, I’ve set to 90% and how charging

4. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

The miles displayed on the battery meter is “rated range”, meaning range on the EPA test cycle. It’s not actual miles. Typically you use more “miles” when driving than actual miles. Speed is the biggest factor in this. Search the forum and read the hundreds of posts explaining this. YMMV, just like in gas cars.

• Informative x 1
  5. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

Degradation is if you charge to 100% and it say 255miles instead of 265.

What you saw was energy use above rated which is expected if enjoying the performance, driving up hills, going fast, temperature extremes ect.

6. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's according to the EPA test procedure type of rating, as @TexasEV said. You know that the EPA gas mileage ratings are always a little optimistic. In the perfect weather and when you don't need to do any heating or air conditioning, and when you're not speeding....they can be achieved, but that's kind of rare. Most of the time, you will get a little worse than that.

7. Peter Lucas

Peter Lucas Member

Most likely it is a higher wh/mile than rated. This is analogous to miles per gallon in an ICE car. On the Model S, the rated range assumes 324 wh/mile. While this is achievable, driving fast, lots of hills, lots of AC or heat loads will increase your wh/mile and thus decrease your range.
    Another unlikely possibiity is that you have a battery with less capacity than advertised. The maximum range display does not account for a degraded battery (in my car at least.)

8. avaghela

avaghela Member

Thanks for the feedback

I'm getting 235 @ 90% and 260 @ 100%

9. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

No. This is still wrong.

• Informative x 1