Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Concerns?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I just took delivery on Fri of a 2013 P85+ - love the ride!

Before we left Fremont, the car had 205-miles, and over the weekend we drove 90-miles, and now it shows 83-miles left. So is the 32-miles degradation? Comforts like AC was OFF majority of the time.

Today I'll charge to 90% and see the range.

Thoughts?

The miles displayed on the battery meter is “rated range”, meaning range on the EPA test cycle. It’s not actual miles. Typically you use more “miles” when driving than actual miles. Speed is the biggest factor in this. Search the forum and read the hundreds of posts explaining this. YMMV, just like in gas cars.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Yeah, that's according to the EPA test procedure type of rating, as @TexasEV said. You know that the EPA gas mileage ratings are always a little optimistic. In the perfect weather and when you don't need to do any heating or air conditioning, and when you're not speeding....they can be achieved, but that's kind of rare. Most of the time, you will get a little worse than that.

Hi

I just took delivery on Fri of a 2013 P85+ - love the ride!

Before we left Fremont, the car had 205-miles, and over the weekend we drove 90-miles, and now it shows 83-miles left. So is the 32-miles degradation? Comforts like AC was OFF majority of the time.

Today I'll charge to 90% and see the range.

Thoughts?

Most likely it is a higher wh/mile than rated. This is analogous to miles per gallon in an ICE car. On the Model S, the rated range assumes 324 wh/mile. While this is achievable, driving fast, lots of hills, lots of AC or heat loads will increase your wh/mile and thus decrease your range.
Another unlikely possibiity is that you have a battery with less capacity than advertised. The maximum range display does not account for a degraded battery (in my car at least.)