Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Concerns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Used to be the case. This was changed earlier this year and new S/X now have the same mileage limited 30% degradation warranty as 3/Y. Read the warranty.
The previous warranty language applies to the vast majority of Model S/X that have been delivered. The new warranty language does not state how the 30% degradation is determined, and as we all know, Tesla compares degradation to the "fleet average" which ensures that it will rarely replace any batteries under this condition. Further disclaimers state that Tesla is the one to determine, in its sole discretion, whether a battery should be replaced.

In other words, this 30% metric is totally useless in any way that actually matters.

It's also worth noting that this new warranty limits the 8 year battery and drivetrain warranties to 150,000 miles. It is no longer unlimited miles. That doesn't say much about Tesla's confidence in its own product when it reduces warranty coverage.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
With 69 useable capacity and “fully “ charged I can 357 km real not wtl

This question gets asked sooo many times...

Depends on how you drive, where you drive, what version of car, and what your rated range is based on.

If I had your capacity in my car, I would need a consumption of no more than 193 Wh/Km, which would be doable since my actual and rated consumption are about 3-5% less than that.

This question gets asked sooo many times...

Depends on how you drive, where you drive, what version of car, and what your rated range is based on.

If I had your capacity in my car, I would need a consumption of no more than 193 Wh/Km, which would be doable since my actual and rated consumption are about 3-5% less than that.

I average 210Wh/km or 350 Wh/mi however, that is when I drive conservatively which isn't all that often ;)

I've been running math with the past few charges with my 2013 85. Been charging to 90%, which should get 76.5kWh and 238.5mi of charge. I'm only getting about 45kWh used and 155 miles on average when getting down to 4-5% before charging again. This puts it at about 65% of its original capacity.

I'm a very conservative driver (average around 305-330 Wh/mi, mostly city driving), in California, 2013 85, and rated rage (not ideal). This is a pretty significant loss in range and I'm sad it's not getting anywhere near what its rated. I get it's a 7 year old car, but should I be concerned? I'd love a new pack, but without the charge level warning, I doubt they'd ever replace it.

I've been running math with the past few charges with my 2013 85. Been charging to 90%, which should get 76.5kWh.

No.

Your "85kwh" battery was really only 81.5 kwh when brand new. Of that, only ~77.5 kwh is usable and available for propulsion. So even when brand spanking new, 90% of your "85" battery was only ~70kwh.

How are you measuring the 45kwh used and 155 miles of available range? Single long drive? Over multiple days and short trips? What is your actual observed rated range at 100% charge?

Reactions: Rocky_H
No.

Your "85kwh" battery was really only 81.5 kwh when brand new. Of that, only ~77.5 kwh is usable and available for propulsion. So even when brand spanking new, 90% of your "85" battery was only ~70kwh.

That's good to know and eases my worry with that bit a fair amount. Things just really don't seem like they're adding up. I'm new to the EV world, so I'm sure there's still a lot of misconception for me personally.

How are you measuring the 45kwh used and 155 miles of available range? Single long drive? Over multiple days and short trips? What is your actual observed rated range at 100% charge?

This last one I did was over multiple days, with some 30-50 mile driving stints, some short trips to/from my main work office. Pretty inconsistent, I'd agree. However, I've done a couple straight shots and at BEST get 160mi before getting to 5ish% hovering around 320Wh/mi.

I really need to get Scan My Tesla set up if I'm going to get this crazy about usage specifics, but something just doesn't seem right. That, or my expectations are just simply off. Really open to either possibility.

No.

Ended up picking up a CAN reader and SMT and have been checking on it the past few days. Nominal full pack is 73.2kWh. I'm at this point assuming this battery has been replaced before, because ~5% of loss over 7 years is phenomenal, in my opinion. I quickly checked the battery sticker the other day and it's not the 350V unicorn battery some have been getting, but it's a 400V battery, model number ending with a B. (Don't recall the specific number.)

All goes to say, it's really just my driving habits. Need to focus less on range over multiple days, charge when I need to, and just drive the damn car! "Full typical range" is 283mi with "Full rated range" at 243mi. That's right in the range of what I was looking for anyways. Just didn't give it enough time to really get a good gauge on things.