Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading my battery 2015 P90D with a 2020 LR+ 100kwh battery a good idea?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am thinking an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, but is that right thought process for battery swaps?

Have a 2015 P90D with 106K miles, and get a solid 225 miles range on my gen1 90kwh battery. SMT says 8-10mv imbalance at 86% SOC, and a 2.5Ah CAC imbalance. But a 68.5kwh nominal full pack. So pretty healthy, just some degradation.

Found a LR+ 100kwh battery locally 1086755-00-H with low miles, and considering swapping in the newer battery. Anyone know if I could take advantage of the newer pack revision for the longer distance? Seemed a firmware update went out to the LR+'s to take advantage of the new Panasonic cells in these, and increase SC rate. But I may need to adjust the config of the car to do that?

I have a new rev-U drive unit in my P90D, and think if I put in a newer battery then it should stay road-worth for some time in an attempt to avoid a 018/029

IMG_6608.PNG

@sorka that's a good point; I do have smart air. But are you referring to the new 21+ Plaid 100kwh packs being lighter weight than the raven packs? Just looking at the configuration of them, they don't seem compatible at all. However for the Model S 2020/05 (compatible) BTX9 option code does refer to "100 kWh Battery Pack with Weight Reduction" which I am thinking comes in less than a 2017 era 100kwh battery.

• Informative
Reactions: sorka
Is there any provider currently offering an upgrade to a 100kWh battery pack? I've been attempting to upgrade my P85DL through 057 Technology, but I haven't received a response, and it seems they might no longer be operational.

To follow up on my own thread after some research I am going to keep my 90kwh battery a while longer and monitor the CAC imbalance numbers. 2.5Ah imbalance is very good health as stated from Recell out if TX (these guys are awesome). Moreover, voltage imbalance (measured with mv) is not as good of an indication of battery health. We have had some discussions about this on the BMS_u029/18 Group on FB.
The 100kwh I was looking at could not produce the numbers of CAC or mv or current SOC. In the future, I hope all battery resellers and installers can give these numbers to people replacing their batteries.

CAC imbalance measurements for reference from Recell
1-2 Ah delta is great health/best possible and within measurement error. 3-4 Ah delta is really good. when it starts getting above 5 Ah, you’re probably in the yellow/orange. more than 8-10 Ah you’re pack is probably already throwing errors.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: brainhouston
Is there any provider currently offering an upgrade to a 100kWh battery pack? I've been attempting to upgrade my P85DL through 057 Technology, but I haven't received a response, and it seems they might no longer be operational.
if u find a pack n someone to swap it, then u can DM LayZ n he'll activate it for u
u don't really need any "provider"...

• Informative
Reactions: GammaDelta
Is there a spot for acronym definitions?
I don't think I know of a fixed place for that. It kind of just appears and flows all over the place, and you can try to figure it out from context or ask.

Seeing SC all over the place is tough, since it's South Carolina, Supercharger, or Service Center.

And the first time I saw FWD used to mean Falcon Wing Doors on a Model X it drove me crazy, since FWD has meant front wheel drive in the automotive world for many decades. I've got a few others:

SOC = state of charge
In a model name, if you see P85D, the P means performance and the D means dual motor. The P and D are used in a lot of places across various models.
And if it's P85DL, the L added at the end was for a power upgrade called "Ludicrous" that was offered for a while.

LR for long range
SR technically in Tesla advertising-speak means standard range, but most people think of it as short range. SR+ is a little bit more range than the SR.

FSD is full self driving. AP is autopilot.

In charging equipment, there is:
UMC = universal mobile connector
WC, TWC = wall connector and Tesla wall connector
EVSE is Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment. This is the real technical name for all of those kinds of connectors that go on household AC circuits.
DCFC = DC fast charging
EA = Electrify America (a charging network company)

I can't think of many others offhand.