Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Concerns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I made my adapter and got the scan my Tesla app running, now I have questions on my battery health. Can anyone help me out?

I have a 2014 P85D and this says a full pack would be 73kWh, it also says my SOC is 80% yet looking at the screen it was 77%. Also my module 6 is slow on the charge it is chilling lower than ALL the rest of the packs. I'm still under the battery warranty should I be hounding my SC for a battery? Because I take a lot of long trips and my range seems to be suffering over the last few trips.

Screenshot_20200707_185214_com.emon.canbus.tesla~2.jpg
Screenshot_20200707_185403_com.emon.canbus.tesla~2.jpg

I don't think the SC will replace your battery at this stage, even if a module in the pack is starting to go out. That module is still only 0.005v out of whack.

How much is your actual range impacted?

I find it interesting that your SoC in the IC is different than what is reported on the CAN bus.

I had a cell in my skateboard that was the same level of off as this one and it took a *sugar* while I was riding and I crashed at 30 mph quote painfully actually. So I am rather concerned about this block being off.
My range is definitely lower than it used to be but I never accounted the range I only collect my SC rates.
I found it real weird the range % being off as well and by 3% was quite strange.

Well, Tesla expects them to last at least 8 years and infinite miles, since that's the warranty they offer with the Model S — they define the lifetime of a battery as being when it cannot hold more than 70% of its original charge. But actual data suggests that they will last longer.

For the vast majority of owners, you'll just plug your car in overnight every day. But the answer to this question is fully dependent on the owner's lifestyle and personal driving patterns. In the United States, the average person only drives 37 miles a day :).

I made my adapter and got the scan my Tesla app running, now I have questions on my battery health. Can anyone help me out?

I have a 2014 P85D and this says a full pack would be 73kWh, it also says my SOC is 80% yet looking at the screen it was 77%. Also my module 6 is slow on the charge it is chilling lower than ALL the rest of the packs. I'm still under the battery warranty should I be hounding my SC for a battery? Because I take a lot of long trips and my range seems to be suffering over the last few trips.

View attachment 561831 View attachment 561832

May be do a 100% charge and drive immediately after the charge completes. This should balance the battery, and I also try to do this about two times a year.

For normal usage, I charge to 80%.

After you do the 100% charge, what does your rated range value say?

View attachment 561831 View attachment 561832

I have nearly 10 times (45 mv) the cell voltage deviation that you have. My car is a year newer than yours, 35k miles, with 260 to 266 RM, 75 to 77.5 KwH nominal.

I am a little concerned, but I think you should not worry at all. 5 mv is very small.

I have nearly 10 times (45 mv) the cell voltage deviation that you have. My car is a year newer than yours, 35k miles, with 260 to 266 RM, 75 to 77.5 KwH nominal.

I am a little concerned, but I think you should not worry at all. 5 mv is very small.

You still have low mileage, I'm at 94,000 miles. Every time I look at it the same cell is always out of Ballance by 5-20mv only when parked, I know while driving and using power they all fluctuate. I charged to 100% and it says the useable remaining is 69kWh

Screenshot_20200714_100034_com.emon.canbus.tesla.jpg

Well, Tesla expects them to last at least 8 years and infinite miles, since that's the warranty they offer with the Model S — they define the lifetime of a battery as being when it cannot hold more than 70% of its original charge. But actual data suggests that they will last longer.
Actually that is not true. Model S/X warranty does not cover any degradation whatsoever, including artificial caps imposed by Tesla via software. Read the warranty. Only Model 3/Y is warranted to 30% degradation from new, but Tesla does not define how this would be determined.

Tesla conveniently compares Model S/X degradation to the fleet average, and if it's in that part of the scatter chart Tesla says everything is fine. They likely handle the Model 3/Y the same way. This ensures that batteries will hardly ever get replaced under warranty when performance is compared to fleet average.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
You still have low mileage, I'm at 94,000 miles. Every time I look at it the same cell is always out of Ballance by 5-20mv only when parked, I know while driving and using power they all fluctuate. I charged to 100% and it says the useable remaining is 69kWh

View attachment 565141

I don't have a lot of other data to share, but even 20 mv is pretty low, IMO