TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Battery Cooling Systems Runs Constantly

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Mknac, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Mknac

Mknac Member

My battery cooling system seems to run constantly.

If my car is sitting in the garage and I walk by with the fob and the door handles come the cooling system starts running and runs for hours before shutting off.

When I come back from a drive regardless of length or outside temperatures the cooling system runs for hours.

I had my one year service last week and brought this up and the answer was that the system was working within parameters.

This would make sense in hot weather or when charging but this happens in cool or moderate weather and when the car has been sitting for long periods of time.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

2. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

If what you are describing is accurate, that certainly doesn't sound right. Plugged in or not, when I open the door, the HVAC comes on. When the car locks, it shuts off.

Two factors could be smart preconditioning and cabin overheat protection. Neither should be active in the scenarios you describe, but it might be worth making sure both are turned off and seeing if the problem remains.

3. Mknac

Mknac Member

Both are turned off. Might take it back to service center to check.

4. Larry Hutchinson

Perhaps it is just the coolant recirculation pump and not the full refrigeration system.

Mine does something similar and runs when there is clearly no need. I consider it to be a bug.

5. cchc99

cchc99 Member

Mine does this too... but I've also been diagnosed with a BMS bug which they will be reviewing at my 1 year check up. So much for a thorough CPO check. I got the car in May.

6. tpham07

tpham07 Member

my HVAC has been running after i park it in the garage for a couple hours lately as well. I consider that normal. its over 90+ degrees in my garage and im sure the battery is burning after a long drive and coming home to charge.

7. Mknac

Mknac Member

Generally I wouldn't be concerned but it has been rather cool and downright chilly lately in MD.