Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery day and used Tesla prices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering buying a Tesla. Not sure used/new. Should the news bring EV revelations that depreciate the capabilities of prior models, would it be wiser to hold off until after Sept 22 to make a new purchase? Or F it and just buy the damn thing?

Considering buying a Tesla. Not sure used/new. Should the news bring EV revelations that depreciate the capabilities of prior models, would it be wiser to hold off until after Sept 22 to make a new purchase? Or F it and just buy the damn thing?

are you in a rush?

no: wait
yes: buy

nobody can tell the future, but, history shows that if you can wait...there is absolutely no downside to waiting

It's always beneficial to wait as Tesla introduces new updates constantly. If September 22 seems like a short time from now I'd wait and see. I doubt most of the tech will be immediately available, but you never know.

Used cars should only compete with new if their prices are close to new. Farther down in price Tesla used cars are competing with other brands of cars. The price of new Teslas shouldn't affect those cars nearly as much.

If you are looking at used and new then I'd wait if you can.

Buy new and wait for battery day! Technology is moving fast and Plaid is around the corner. 500 mile batteries should be ready soon - Cybertruck and Roadster have to have them and if Tesla keeps a flagship platform it is eventually going to need better battery tech than the 3 and Y. Battery day is probably when they announce, since Plaid was supposed to be this fall and I think the power output of 100 has just about plateaud.

Do not under any circumstances buy a used batterygate / chargegate / draingate Tesla. If you buy new you won't need to care what any of that even means.

Reactions: BlindPass
are you in a rush?

no: wait
yes: buy

nobody can tell the future, but, history shows that if you can wait...there is absolutely no downside to waiting
Main downside to waiting is “death”. My buddy keeps waiting until Elon is done innovating and making the range furthest and the car fastest. Obviously, using this logic he will never own a Tesla and death is an absolute (hopefully far far off). I’m sure you see my point.

I'm in the same boat. Just test drove the S last weekend and I'm convinced new is best for me (better range,suspension, loan rate, and stress factor) as used models don't have the $$ savings that are worth it. Just got a call from Tesla dealership asking when I'll pull the trigger and recommended putting my order in soon as if I wait until the end of the quarter the wait time may be longer to get my vehicle. I was in the boat of waiting until after battery day, but he said if anything changes I can return/reorder my S or get a discount if new tech is out by then.

Any other reason he was pushy to sell? Or is he being sincere. Also asked about end of quarter incentives but he didn't have any to offer :(

Buy new and wait for battery day! Technology is moving fast and Plaid is around the corner. 500 mile batteries should be ready soon - Cybertruck and Roadster have to have them and if Tesla keeps a flagship platform it is eventually going to need better battery tech than the 3 and Y. Battery day is probably when they announce, since Plaid was supposed to be this fall and I think the power output of 100 has just about plateaud.

Do not under any circumstances buy a used batterygate / chargegate / draingate Tesla. If you buy new you won't need to care what any of that even means.
Exactly why the best deals to be found currently are on these cars that are still absolutely amazing.

I'm in the same boat. Just test drove the S last weekend and I'm convinced new is best for me (better range,suspension, loan rate, and stress factor) as used models don't have the $$ savings that are worth it. Just got a call from Tesla dealership asking when I'll pull the trigger and recommended putting my order in soon as if I wait until the end of the quarter the wait time may be longer to get my vehicle. I was in the boat of waiting until after battery day, but he said if anything changes I can return/reorder my S or get a discount if new tech is out by then.

Any other reason he was pushy to sell? Or is he being sincere. Also asked about end of quarter incentives but he didn't have any to offer :(
yea, and I got a treasure map just waiting for you....just send $50 to me and I 'll send it to you....they guy is full of crap....."return / re-order or a discount.....you got to be kidding...

If the Plaid S is announced next month, Elon said it's going to cost more than the current Model S Performance so if you're looking to spend ~$115,000+ then wait for that.

Otherwise, if any depreciation in the next few months, it won't be much. I'd get a Tesla as soon as possible.

Reactions: Dario_75D