Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldn't find any discussions about this subject, so since this seems to be a general "Battery Discussion", I thought I'd ask around to see if people that are better versed and knowledgeable in battery tech.

As a long time Tesla owner and person who's trying to reduce his carbon footprint all my life ... I'm growing concerned about the increase of studies that are popping up showing some disturbing information on the possible huge carbon + emissions of battery production during its lifecycle (mainly from the ground into the car).

Does anybody have some insight into what the footprint is for a Tesla battery pack? Some random things I've read was it takes 1 to even 7 years worth of average American EV driving to compensate for the battery's footprint. I'm obviously disturbed by either of these figures and I understand it is a matter of many variables, but this is why I'm specifically mentioning a Tesla battery pack.

Some links to "real" and official government and/or university studies would be helpful. As I'm sure BIG OIL is very eager to push this narrative hard.

Upvote 0
I couldn't find any discussions about this subject, so since this seems to be a general "Battery Discussion", I thought I'd ask around to see if people that are better versed and knowledgeable in battery tech.

As a long time Tesla owner and person who's trying to reduce his carbon footprint all my life ... I'm growing concerned about the increase of studies that are popping up showing some disturbing information on the possible huge carbon + emissions of battery production during its lifecycle (mainly from the ground into the car).

Does anybody have some insight into what the footprint is for a Tesla battery pack? Some random things I've read was it takes 1 to even 7 years worth of average American EV driving to compensate for the battery's footprint. I'm obviously disturbed by either of these figures and I understand it is a matter of many variables, but this is why I'm specifically mentioning a Tesla battery pack.

Some links to "real" and official government and/or university studies would be helpful. As I'm sure BIG OIL is very eager to push this narrative hard.
Seems mostly FUD - Fake news - You certainly know how to search the internet to look for research papers. IF not then read up on how to use Google search.

Upvote 0
I'm looking for an adult and intelligent response, not some non-informative "seems like" statement or "use Google" childish responses. Please don't reply to questions with childish non-informative comments. Google is full of old he said / she said documents, but very little substance. I'm looking for a real educated study, something that takes effort to read so I can better educate myself.

Upvote 0
I'm looking for an adult and intelligent response, not some non-informative "seems like" statement or "use Google" childish responses. Please don't reply to questions with childish non-informative comments. Google is full of old he said / she said documents, but very little substance. I'm looking for a real educated study, something that takes effort to read so I can better educate myself.
There is a detailed study made by VW some time ago.

Upvote 0
Actually with my '17 MS I have FSDb, free super-charging as long as I own it, premium cellular service for life, and no interior camera. Not sure if this quite qualifies as a "unicorn car" just yet but I actually prefer this configuration over what is rolling off the floor today.

Of course, it's not really "free" - I paid for all of that in spades, back when we "saved Tesla" and since Elon has pretty much abandoned us. But still, I'm thinking 1) I'll keep this untl the wheels fall off, and 2) if I do need to sell, someone would pay a premium for such a config. Maybe not, but I'd like to think so. I'm also glad to have the 100 kWh battery to help cover degradation. :D
Quick side question - do you know where you are with degradation and what mileage you have at 100% I also have a 2017 vintage with a 100 kWh battery, and it seems to have tapered off at 10%...I have a Model X, but at 100% I am sitting at about 260 miles. It's a heavy car and with the family and the thing loaded, it's made for some close road trips even cruising at 60-65 mph. I keep wanting to go to a newer X to get faster charging and greater range, but for the 3 or 4 road trips a year, free unlimited supercharging and premium cellular service seems like a good tradeoff.

Upvote 0
do you know where you are with degradation and what mileage you have at 100%
I haven't charged to 100% in a while but the Tessie app estimates about 280 miles. So I'm in the same ballpark as you. Up until about 4 months ago I was on TeslaFi which gives fleet averages (not sure it's by year or mileage though) and I was consistently in the bottom 10% of the "fleet". And I used to only SC on trips and very rarely to 100%. With the crazy inflation going on now I'm finding the "status quo" SCing to be more attractive.

FWIW.

Upvote 0
Quick side question - do you know where you are with degradation and what mileage you have at 100% I also have a 2017 vintage with a 100 kWh battery, and it seems to have tapered off at 10%...I have a Model X, but at 100% I am sitting at about 260 miles. It's a heavy car and with the family and the thing loaded, it's made for some close road trips even cruising at 60-65 mph. I keep wanting to go to a newer X to get faster charging and greater range, but for the 3 or 4 road trips a year, free unlimited supercharging and premium cellular service seems like a good tradeoff.

I haven't charged to 100% in a while but the Tessie app estimates about 280 miles. So I'm in the same ballpark as you. Up until about 4 months ago I was on TeslaFi which gives fleet averages (not sure it's by year or mileage though) and I was consistently in the bottom 10% of the "fleet". And I used to only SC on trips and very rarely to 100%. With the crazy inflation going on now I'm finding the "status quo" SCing to be more attractive.

FWIW.
Aside: My June 2017 Model X 100D
aLBRY43.jpg

Upvote 0
I’m at the very bottom. Only supercharged 8-10 times. Usually charge to 80%
I don’t normally run it very low, so I’m guessing it doesn’t know where bottom is at.
I was responding very specifically to the X and 2017 two folks that brought it up. I've done many road trips. A fair number of single digit SOC % arrivals.
We should do a different thread instead of this one.
Sorry all for getting off topic.

Upvote 0