Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery drain while parked or car in storage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just wrote a thoroughly excellent couple paragraphs on this, as I had my 3 parked at an airport for 9 days and only lost 24 miles off the battery. Sentry mode, dog mode, climate controls, etc, were all shut off.

See it: Mileage loss after 9 days parked.

Note that if you have Sentry Mode turned on in the in-car screen, you can't shut it off from the phone app, nor can you install updates without going to the car and turning Sentry Mode off manually, I've learned that recently.

Reactions: Akikiki
Good tips.

So....getting a 3 long range and I drive 90 miles to airport, park in cold weather and return 5 days later. Will I have over 100 miles of range upon return?
Have you driven in winter enough to understand the "departure tax" as I have seen it refered to as?
When setting off in cold weather the initial cabin and potentially battery warming consume a lot of power fast, you might actually double or worse energy consumption for the first few miles then it will taper back down to a reasonable level.
Since heat is not waste like an ICE it consumes range, it is also instant which is amazing. You will learn to manage with preheating or scheduled charging etc., another angle is if you try to charge suddenly while cold without some driving charging will start slow while the battery warms first.

I'm feeling anxious about leaving my car for a week at Christmas (cold in Denver), can anyone please assure me if I leave it with about 80% charge (what it would take to get there from a full charge) will I have enough to get home?

Fine airport parking has a lot of Tesla chargers that are free and the airport garage has a few chargers available, but the airport parking will be packed at Christmas.

Turn off sentry mode and you'll be fine even unplugged, there's a supercharger like 8 miles from the terminal.

• Informative
Reactions: Tron 3
We were in Europe for almost 20 days, checked the Model 3 about a week in and the battery had dropped to 33% of what it was when we left the vehicle at the Park n Fly @ YVR. I had left the sentry mode on and they must have parked it in a very high traffic location as this was the only thing that could have caused this drain (car constantly alerting on sentry mode). That said, I emailed Park n Fly @ YVR and they plugged it in (they did offer this service when I dropped it off, though no one actually replied to the email, funny enough). Additionally, I then turned OFF sentry mode and once charged up (they then unplugged it) the only drain over the next 13 days was about 10 km. So, moral of this story, turn Sentry mode off.

i parked my model 3 in the basement of a multistory parking structure for 2 weeks at about 90% with sentry mode on. got back to a car with 15% battery left... thankfully the airport is not tooo far from my home but i was really nervous when i got the 20% notification on my phone overseas!

Have you looked into the availability of parking that offers charging? You may be able to find a charger at a larger airport. If nothing else maybe level 1.

Parking at Denver Int’l Airport is expensive for being out in the middle of no where. I usually park at Park DIA and take their shuttle to the airport for about $8/day uncovered. I doubt too many places will charge your car unless you’re paying more than $15-20/day.

As someone up above already mentioned, there’s two Superchargers pretty close once you leave the airport

I'm feeling anxious about leaving my car for a week at Christmas (cold in Denver), can anyone please assure me if I leave it with about 80% charge (what it would take to get there from a full charge) will I have enough to get home?
I live in Denver and have parked my car Nearly every week at DEN since I’ve had it (13 months). I typically don’t leave it for a full week, but have before. I’d charge to 100% just that time and turn off Standby Summon. You should be fine. I usually arrive with 235 miles left and usually have over 100 left after 4 or 5 days. This was with summon standby on. Without I get more.

Turn off Sentry Mode.
Turn off Standby Mode for Smart Summon.

The second is the more important of the two since you CANNOT turn it off later from the app.

I did just that the other week.
Over 9 nights at the parking log, most with ambient temps below freezing, I lost 8% of the battery SOC. Less than I had expected.

Definitely turn OFF Sentry (useless anyway), and Standby for Smart Summon (if you have FSD).
Both are battery hogs, and kinda useless in the long-term parking lot situation.

a