Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery fuse changed with HV battery? Warning mag

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,

I just received a battery fuse warning on my 2012 model S. Is this changed when you get a new high voltage battery? The reason I ask is the high voltage battery was replaced back in 2018, so about six years old.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
The probable reason you're getting the warning is because the HV battery was replaced. Your original battery didn’t have the pyrofuse that had the limited life. The new battery they put in has the pyrofuse that has its own battery and has a finite lifetime.

The probable reason you're getting the warning is because the HV battery was replaced. Your original battery didn’t have the pyrofuse that had the limited life. The new battery they put in has the pyrofuse that has its own battery and has a finite lifetime.
Weird, the old one didn't and the new one does? Are you sure? The part # matched with the original and it was a ne, not refurb battery.

Just go to the service center and have the fuse replaced. There is nothing we can do here on this forum over the internet. Tesla doesn't care that the battery was replaced 6 years ago. If you don't want to deal with Tesla then take it to someone who can replace the fuse they aren't expensive, it's the toolbox software that is needed to reset the warning that is.

Weird, the old one didn't and the new one does? Are you sure? The part # matched with the original and it was a ne, not refurb battery.
Yes, from 2012-late 2015 the batteries had a simple non-powered, maintenance free main fuse. In order to enable Ludicrous mode and allow higher currents to be drawn from the battery, Tesla replaced the main fuse with an active, non-rechargeable battery powered, pyrofuse in packs made after late 2015 until they started making them with a maintenance free design again later. If your pack was replaced with a new one in 2018 it probably has the pyrofuse with the time limited battery in it. My 2014 and early 2015 S's have the original passive fuse and have not needed any fuse maintenance on them.