Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery heating when turning on HVAC via Tesla app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know that the Model S battery heater used to only heat the battery to about 10 C and that limited regen doesn't go away until 20 C. This used to mean that all winter was basically spent with limited regen. This past winter I noticed that when preheating the car the battery would be heated to the point of having full regen as soon as I'd start driving even though the car had been parked outside all day. I tried searching & didn't find any specific data about this. Has anyone determined more about how the battery heater is behaving now in the Model S?

Our Model S is a 2016 w/ the new FSD computer recently installed. My wife is interested in replacing it with a Model Y but I despise driving with limited regen in the winter & that issue was finally resolved this past winter in the Model S with how the car with heat up the battery on its own.

My experience is different. I don't think I saw the battery heater ever come on. I park in a garage most of the time (including work) so that moderates the temperature, but there were still plenty of times where I didn't get full regen for several miles. Cell temperature rises pretty slowly.

I did use scheduled departure for work days which warmed up the cabin, but more importantly the just-in-time charging schedule puts needed heat into the pack.

...Has anyone determined more about how the battery heater is behaving now in the Model S?...

My guess is: the Pre-Raven and Raven battery heating system should be the same: You can pre-heat the car and if you see the snowflake icon on the app, that means the battery heater is turned on (and not just the cabin only).

...Model Y...

I am not sure whether there are winter reports of Model Y yet as it was delivered to the west coast first in mid-March, 2020 then Covid-19 factory closure for 2 months and re-opened in mid-May.

My guess is it is just like Model 3 as it doesn't have its own battery heater but uses the motor to generate heat for battery (even while stationary, parked...). But I think the process is the same as Model S/X preheat procedure that you've been doing.