Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled battery preheating vs. battery degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may have missed someone saying this already...
My 2016 X scolds me if I haven't preconditioned before getting to a supercharger and goes on to tell me that charging time will be extended by 10 - 15 minutes while it preconditions while plugged in to the supercharger, before charging starts. The charging rate is very slow while it preconditions.

I may have missed someone saying this already...
My 2016 X scolds me if I haven't preconditioned before getting to a supercharger and goes on to tell me that charging time will be extended by 10 - 15 minutes while it preconditions while plugged in to the supercharger, before charging starts. The charging rate is very slow while it preconditions.
Right. The BMS limits charge rate to protect the cells.

Thanks for answer, Åke!
But the SC will use higher effect when the battery is warmed up by the preconditioning, right? May be it will be the same result for battery life? But Tesla want to show that it takes shorter time to charge therefore they use higher effect. Time is what mostly user is interested in. The precondition also use a lot of energy, I can see in my car. 75 kW/2019 RWD.

Reactions: AAKEE
Thanks for answer, Åke!
But the SC will use higher effect when the battery is warmed up by the preconditioning, right?
Yes, but a preconditioned battery is above 40C, which make it much less prone to develope lithium plating.
May be it will be the same result for battery life? But Tesla want to show that it takes shorter time to charge therefore they use higher effect. Time is what mostly user is interested in. The precondition also use a lot of energy, I can see in my car. 75 kW/2019 RWD.
The battery heating will be on for a part of the supercharging session.
A completely preconditioned battery probably (as in: I never tested) use more battery heating in the Supercharger so the difference might be very small or null.

I had to supercharge once without preconditioning in the winter and was chocked to see 130kW immediatly (Supercharger V2, that otherwise max out at 135-140kW).

Yes, but a preconditioned battery is above 40C, which make it much less prone to develope lithium plating.

The battery heating will be on for a part of the supercharging session.
A completely preconditioned battery probably (as in: I never tested) use more battery heating in the Supercharger so the difference might be very small or null.

I had to supercharge once without preconditioning in the winter and was chocked to see 130kW immediatly (Supercharger V2, that otherwise max out at 135-140kW).
You have good answers, Åke!
I am happy to read your thoughts about battery and charging for Model 3/Tesla.

Reactions: AAKEE