Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Issue? Phantom Drain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(new to forum)
Hello all
2021 Long Range Model Y
Software 2022.12.3.12

So I’ve got an issue (I think) and (I think) it’s a two part problem. And it’s really stressing me out.

So I’ve noticed within the last 2-3 weeks a marked decrease in range. Normal trip to daughter’s school that usually soaks up say 10 miles now is soaking up 16-18. T
(I considered it was from running the AC as it was hot the last couple of days in the mid Atlantic - but no hotter than last summer)

So that got me paranoid and I really started focusing on the numbers. Then today, while the car was parked for 1.7 hours with Sentry Mode OFF and it lost 4.8 “miles”. That never happens.

And just tonight it has dropped 7 “miles” while parked in my garage with no sentry mode on nor dashcam usb stick attached (see below)

Ok so side topic but I suspect it’s related. The little red dot on the dashcam
Icon is ALWAYS on. Even when I turn dashcam OFF. I opened up the viewer and noticed a saved sentry clip from May 24 (right before I started noticing the issue). I delete the clip and even format the USB. A few minutes later red dot is back on AND the “deleted” footage from May 24 is still in there. I even take the USB out and completely format it on a Mac…. wiped everything on it and yeah, right after I put it back in the USB port the deleted footage from May 24 is STILL there. (How tf???)

Not to mention the red dot on the dashcam icon reappears after a few seconds.

So my guess is the parked phantom drain and driving drain are from something to do with the dashcam a) always recording and b) stuck trying to playback an obsolete clip from 3 weeks ago.

Thought?? Kind of stressed out about if.

Something other than Sentry Mode is keeping your Tesla Model Y from entering sleep mode while parked. This is assuming you already have Sentry mode set to be turned off at your home location. The usual culprits include some 3rd party app or apps that you enabled with your Tesla account Id and Password. The third-party server is regularly pinging your vehicle, preventing the Tesla from shutting down. You can try rebooting the Tesla vehicle but you will probably have to take the step of changing your Tesla account password and logging out of the Tesla account and then logging in with the new password. Any third-party apps will no longer function or be able to communicate with your vehicle without the new password.

Loosing 4.8 or 7 miles overnight is really nothing. If you changed your display to % instead of miles, you'd probably see 0% or 1% change. This is really just an estimate, and could be influenced by a lot of things like battery temperature. That is, if you park the car in the evening, the battery is warm from driving, let's say your display says 70% battery. In the morning, the battery cooled off overnight, it might say 69% battery. I doesn't mean you lost 1% battery overnight, it means the calculation is different for a cold battery. I've seen my battery % increase by 1% overnight sometimes - it's just an estimate.

Loosing 4.8 or 7 miles overnight is really nothing. If you changed your display to % instead of miles, you'd probably see 0% or 1% change. This is really just an estimate, and could be influenced by a lot of things like battery temperature. That is, if you park the car in the evening, the battery is warm from driving, let's say your display says 70% battery. In the morning, the battery cooled off overnight, it might say 69% battery. I doesn't mean you lost 1% battery overnight, it means the calculation is different for a cold battery. I've seen my battery % increase by 1% overnight sometimes - it's just an estimate.
Thank you
Best answer I think

Reactions: Cyberspeed
Thanks so much everyone. Appreciate you.
I *think* I figured out the culprit - which brings a whole new question -

When I “start” up the Y, when it’s on my profile, the little red recording indicator on the dashcam mode shows up. Even when we’re parked inside our own garage. So, I go to settings and turn it off. Meaning I set Dashcam to OFF.

Funny / weird thing is, when I get back in the car later, the exact same thing happens and I’ll go to settings to repeat the turning off and it’s on MANUAL

Even though I’ve not been in the car, and one has else been in the car but me.
Basically something keeps turning dashcam from OFF to MANUAL.

* only my wife and I have the apps on our phone and we are the original owners. She has her own profile and the dashcam OFF/MANUAL issue described above does not happen to her.

Hi, I am having the same issue with my Model Y. Does this mean, I need to turn off the dash cam manually every time I park? Is the a way to be switched off automatically once parked? Thanks
See Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual - Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

If you want Sentry Mode to automatically turn on every time you leave your vehicle, touch Controls > Sentry Mode > On. There are three additional settings for customization:

• Exclude Home: Sentry Mode does not operate at the location you set as Home in your favorites list (see Home, Work, and Favorite Destinations), but operates at any other parking location.

If you have purchased FSD what about Smart Summon? Is it turned off too?
I don’t own FSD so I can’t tell you for sure.
But when I return from a trip, I open the Tesla app while I’m still in the airport and am then able to use my phone to open the car.
I used to travel 2 to 3 times per month, but now (post COVID) I’m traveling maybe once every 2 months. I like to screen shot the Tesla app before I shut it down (so I know what the state of charge is) and then check state of charge when I land just to make sure I can get home from the airport.

My model S had a problem where the car would turn itself on and wake itself up with a strange very quiet buzzing sound. Turned out the 12v battery in the car was going bad which required a visit to the dealer which fixed the random range degradation and overnight phantom losses.

I don’t own FSD so I can’t tell you for sure.
But when I return from a trip, I open the Tesla app while I’m still in the airport and am then able to use my phone to open the car.
I used to travel 2 to 3 times per month, but now (post COVID) I’m traveling maybe once every 2 months. I like to screen shot the Tesla app before I shut it down (so I know what the state of charge is) and then check state of charge when I land just to make sure I can get home from the airport.
Do you have an 3rd party apps monitoring the battery, energy usage and charging?

My model S had a problem where the car would turn itself on and wake itself up with a strange very quiet buzzing sound. Turned out the 12v battery in the car was going bad which required a visit to the dealer which fixed the random range degradation and overnight phantom losses.
Hi member,

I have very similar issue like you had.

Here is my MS75D(Facelift model, Dec 2016), enhanced Autopilot, 65Kmiles

Since last december 2022, the car show dramatic battery drains, almost daily 9-12mile

I did switched off sentry mode, no 3rd party apps, no preconditioning climate...

Only i have Blacevue Dash cam(hard wired)

In 5th Jan 2023, my car been to SC, they said the battey is no issue but it seems MS didnt go to sleep somwhow...

Ridiculously, they gonna have further diganosis if i pay further cost, Tesla getting ridiculous...

After came Home, i found out Tisse App, i downloaded and monnitorimg my car, while i parked the car, the loss of battery energy nearly 3.6kw, equivalant 4% loss.

So what do you think of my case???

Is because of 12V battery? Or just bad luck or Just cold weather temperature??

Its very streesing me,

Thank you in advance and pls give me some advices if whoever willing to answer of my frustrations.

Dashcam always recording is either a glitch in the TeslaOS, or a QC protocol flaw/default settings issue. I had the same problem. It was recording from the very first day I took the delivery of my vehicle. I feel guilty that it took me about 2 months to solve this simple issue. The fix is unbelievably simple. First, choose the settings like manual/automatic/on honk, as desired, and make sure they are saved. Then, simply press and hold the dashcam icon to turn off the dashcam. It will stay off. Now, it should work according to your settings. Let me know your feedback.

The keyword should be "operate". I believe, the instructions in the owner's manual are somewhat vague. The instructions are not clearly spelling out as to how to "manually" operate the dashcam on/off.

Last edited: