Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery level after driving most days?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think motels/hotels that provide public chargers perform a wonderful service. We stayed three days at a Home2 Suite in Tallahassee (Hilton property) where they had two charging stations, well marked and accessible, with signage reserving them for EV's. One was a Tesla destination charger. I was surprised, and pleased, to find that my two charges there were gratis. As the number of EV's on the road multiplies this will turn out to be a very smart business decision. I will certainly remember it.

My first EV was a 2013 Smart ED and it only got about 60 miles of range with a 100% charge. Even with that limited range, it was a lot more convenient to charge at night than going to the gas station every 3 days with our V8 Mercedes SUV I was using for commuting before. We didn't road trip very often and the Smart had enough to get us to the airport and back. Everything has gotten so much easier and better since 2013.

My first EV was a 2013 Smart ED and it only got about 60 miles of range with a 100% charge. Even with that limited range, it was a lot more convenient to charge at night than going to the gas station every 3 days with our V8 Mercedes SUV I was using for commuting before. We didn't road trip very often and the Smart had enough to get us to the airport and back. Everything has gotten so much easier and better since 2013.

Some days I don't even charge my Tesla Model 3 w/ 315 mile range. I may end the day at like 80-75% starting from 90%, and just not feel like plugging it, for the next day, I'll be at 50-60% then I'll plug it in.

I'm not in SoCal - and in fact all the way across the country on the opposite coast - but own my own home.

I think that has a huge impact on EV ownership. For example - I've got a dedicated, 60amp circuit just for charging the car that sits in my driveway. I'm able, every day, to just plug the car in. The cable holster sits about 2 feet (if that) from the charging port. It's quite literally, get out of the car, reach up, plug the wand in, and walk into the garage. All of about 2 seconds.

I mention this because it's absolute best case for EV ownership. It charges at home, when I'm not using it, at the fastest speed it can. This makes EV ownership better than a gasoline car in every way.

If I didn't live in my own home, didn't have a charging circuit, and instead had to rely on public chargers every time, it would be inconvenient here, but still workable. I've got 3 different Superchargers within a 15 minute radius, none of which are excessively busy. But that's because we don't have the EV saturation California does.

I just looked at some population data, and home ownership is about 64% here in NJ; CA is about 53%. We also have a lower percentage of people driving to work (70% single driver) vs. California (73%). Average family income is higher here, too.

Yet, EV ownership is a fraction here versus what it is in CA. Given all the advantages, and now that we have a brand new $5000 state incentive for buying an EV (on top of the sales tax waiver!) - I expect EV ownership to grow and grow rapidly here.

The question is whether we end up with SoCal-like Supercharger situations, or can we actually get the charging infrastructure (home as primary, and a network of destination chargers) right?

Catch me in 2 years and let's see how it happens - I feel like that $5k incentive is above to put an afterburner on our EV purchases. I'd like to think that California led the EV charge, but we're going to be a fast-follower and correct the charging situation...

Reactions: hcdavis3
I'm not in SoCal -

If I didn't live in my own home, didn't have a charging circuit, and instead had to rely on public chargers every time, it would be inconvenient here, but still workable. I've got 3 different Superchargers within a 15 minute radius, none of which are excessively busy. But that's because we don't have the EV saturation California does.

Catch me in 2 years and let's see how it happens - I feel like that $5k incentive is above to put an afterburner on our EV purchases. I'd like to think that California led the EV charge, but we're going to be a fast-follower and correct the charging situation...

I feel there is competition to charge at superchargers in So Cal during prime time / rush hour. If you're lucky, there may be 1-2 spots left. If you're unlucky, you have to wait in line. But since I charge at home, I rarely have to use supercharging.

I am hoping a trip to Vegas, which probably needs supercharging, won't have a huge wait. I wonder if there is competition to charge up in the Barstow or Primm area, when all the So Cal drivers are heading / leaving Vegas. If I can know which time to avoid driving, to avoid waiting in line to charge, I will plan around that. But the map planner says only 20 min charging in Barstow. But I could easily do 40-60 minutes if I did a sit down restaurant, or took my time to eat.

And do Las Vegas hotels provide cheap / free EV charging? That be really nice to have.

Last edited:
If not for home charging, this car (SR+) would not be feasible. It comes home every night with between 20 and 60 miles left on the battery. We charge it to 90% every night -- repeat. It has over 3,000 miles in less than a month of ownership. Only time we've supercharged was last weekend when we took a 600 mile (round)trip. We used superchargers in Tejon, CA, Buttonwillow, CA, Buellton, CA and Oxnard, CA. We didn't have to wait to charge at any of these locations. We also had destination charging in Paso Robles at both a winery we visited as well as our hotel, which helped a lot.