Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery management question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 250 mile round trip that I take twice per week that requires either a 100% charge or a stop at a supercharger to complete. Would it be better for my Model Y battery to charge to 100% twice a week or Supercharge a few minutes twice a week? Any help is appreciated.

My 0.02c : is it the best you can do to the battery? Probably not. But the decision isn't that. It is great to use a supercharger regularly? Probably not. The best is to stay between 40-50% all the time and never use your car :D I'm serious... you can read about ideal conditions but at the end of the day this is a car, and it's meant to be driven. You bought it to use it.
Even the decision to charge to 100% or use the supercharger would be more of a convenience thing for me than a battery degradation question. I would probably charge to 100%-ish but arrange so that this finishes right before I leave. The times I would forget to charge, I would use the supercharger, so I'm never stuck.

Upvote 0
If it was my car and the drive I was making, I would definitely hit a supercharger for a short duration during the trip. If for no other reason than the extra buffer for traffic, wind, weather, unexpected detours, etc.... Just my opinion better to have some extra range, than trying to shove every last electron into the battery or trying to squeeze the battery to it's limits as well. Hit the supercharger, stretch your legs and go on about your trip with no worries.

Upvote 0
As per previous comments, I'm sure you'll be fine whichever option you chose - I personally would mix it up from time to time and always ensure you have a buffer. For instance, I10 between Tucson and Phoenix get's shut down by accidents way too frequently and I wouldn't want to be stuck on the road for a while hoping my AC doesn't drain the battery while I'm sitting in 110 degree heat. I think you'll find after a while people obsess way too much about charging and range as a whole but it's part of finding your comfort level with an EV vs ICE. Enjoy!

Upvote 0