Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Overcharge - Why? Tessie?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few days ago I noticed a member report his car charged to a far higher SoC then he'd expected. Most posters insisted he must have reset it and not known.

Maybe not. Something may be up.

Yesterday (Friday June 23rd) my '23 MYLR charged to 83% without command. I don't know why. Things that are concrete facts:

1) The car is set to charge to 55%, and shows same. In fact, the car uses "Tessie" automations and sets the charge level to 55% on every home arrival.
3 Yesterday, while at home, "Tessie" reports it started charging at 6:09 AM. My Ring camera's confirm I physically plugged it in at that time. The care was locked, I did not enter it, and I did not access either app. It charged to 83% at 8:48am and stopped without user intervention.
4) The Tesla app pushed notices to my phone mirror these times and levels.
5) There are no schedules set. The care simply charges when plugged in to whatever charge level defined. (Or that's what it has historically done).

It seems the car thought its charge level had been set to 83%? I've no idea why.

Q1: Now that there are two of us experiencing that this week, how do I report a potential bug to Tesla?
Q2: Is there a log of some kind that can tell me when and how car got set to 83%?

Thanks,
-d

Reactions: PianoAl
Understood. FWIW, we Use it to set the the charge level differenly in the early morning during the school year (via another automation).

Same questions:
Q1: Now that there are two of us experiencing that this week, how do I report a potential bug to Tesla?
Q2: Is there a log of some kind that can tell me when and how car got set to 83%?
(fwiw, I've requested a tessie data extract, but that seems to be a slow process.)

Tessie log showed up. Pretty large, no wonder it takes so long. These things stand out:
  1. On 6/23, at 6:35 UTC (1:35am CST of 6/23), Tessie reports a charge level of 55%, then seconds later reports one of 83%.
  2. Tessie push notices to me do not show any charge level changes for that day. (I don't seem to get all those notices though, that may not be a reliable notice)
  3. The car was not physically touched during that time.
  4. I note the native Tesla app places the "Swipe to Change Charge Level" screen dead center of the opening screen.
  5. The car reset to the correct (55%) charge level on arrival home that evening via Tessie automation.
  6. I know of no log that can identify who, or how, that level was changed (anybody?)
Clearly something reset the charge level.

#1: I don't use my phone for entertainment, but my wife does. Might she have unintentionally opened the Tesla app and tried to swipe to the next app? Maybe. She works pretty hard to not conceal all the time she spends on tik-tok, it's not likely she'd tell me.

#2 Hey, isn't there some data app where you swipe right? hmm.. Dear, may I look at your phone please?

#3: Is something spurious resetting the charge level? Had somebody else not posted this same experience earlier this week I'd not even think it.

Guess I'll just keep an eye on it for a while.