Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery pack replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi everyone,

I have a TMS 85 2014 and one month ago when the car was at Service Center solving a problem with dual charger, the technicians found a HV impedance problem and they suggest a battery pack change. Tried to find this kind of situation but never found anything about it. Does anyone one knows more situations like this?

Cheers

They have replaced other packs. They may give you a loaner pack while they fix yours, or they may just swap it for a remanufactured pack. If the latter, I would make sure it charges to at least the same number of rated miles as your current pack.

They have replaced other packs. They may give you a loaner pack while they fix yours, or they may just swap it for a remanufactured pack. If the latter, I would make sure it charges to at least the same number of rated miles as your current pack.
Do have an idea of numbers related to that issue?
I’ll have a fresh 85 kWh pack. Meanwhile I have a loaner. Strangely never heard of impedance issues...

B revision packs - I love them and hate them.

Love - these packs have LOW degradation over time, so they usually lose 1% of range or less per year.

Hate - these packs used the old Tyco contactors, which have not held up over time and Tesla has been replacing them with Gigavac contactors. A DIY contactor swap is doable, but it's not fun and requires cracking open the pack to do it.

I would think that a 2014 car would have a later revision pack, but I could be wrong on that. Curious to hear more details on the OPs impedance problem.

I have a TMS 85 2014 and one month ago when the car was at Service Center solving a problem with dual charger, the technicians found a HV impedance problem and they suggest a battery pack change. Tried to find this kind of situation but never found anything about it. Does anyone one knows more situations like this?
It's not an 'impedance' problem. The pack puts out DC, and impedance is resistance to AC.

Most likely the problem is the old 'HV low insulation resistance (< 1Mohm)'. IOW there's not enough isolation between + and - 400v lines. This has two major causes:
- Water leaking in to the pack's main external connector, or
- Somehow mineral oil got in to the A/C system. As the compressor coils are exposed it only takes a couple drops of mineral oil to poison an HV system. (Supposed to use special HV synthetic oil) Tesla recommends that all A/C components be replaced in this case, but I had this problem because I'd used old gauges to charge the system after rebuild, and I fixed it by doing a through flush with special A/C flush solvent. (United Refrigeration)

It's not an 'impedance' problem. The pack puts out DC, and impedance is resistance to AC.

Most likely the problem is the old 'HV low insulation resistance (< 1Mohm)'. IOW there's not enough isolation between + and - 400v lines. This has two major causes:
- Water leaking in to the pack's main external connector, or
- Somehow mineral oil got in to the A/C system. As the compressor coils are exposed it only takes a couple drops of mineral oil to poison an HV system. (Supposed to use special HV synthetic oil) Tesla recommends that all A/C components be replaced in this case, but I had this problem because I'd used old gauges to charge the system after rebuild, and I fixed it by doing a through flush with special A/C flush solvent. (United Refrigeration)
Next week I hope to know what was the cause of it. Seems a good explanation to me. Strangely never realized of some problem associated with the pack. I tried to upgrade to other battery pack but with no success
Anyway I’m having a “new fresh lungs”

How would this have any impact on the HV system?

Did you ask if the warranty was RESET?
I was told by SC that the warranty would be reset back to 8 yrs.

Why on Earth would it be reset? You bought the car with an 8 year warranty, you still have the 8 year warranty. If they give you a battery during that time. You're in great shape. Why would you expect another 8 years? It's a very strange idea.

Please can someone help me with an address to a responsible person at Tesla head office?
I own Sweden's No 1 Tesla, the very first one that came to Sweden yesterday 5 years ago (Oct 4, 2013). VIN 17939.
About half a year ago my HV battery went black. The car was picked up, I got a loaner, Everything was handled in Tesla's typical efficient way.
After some time I was told that they would put in another HV battery package, equal or better than my original. Now, I am almost fanatic about the treatment of my car and battery, never overcharging, never letting it run flat, always in garage etc. I have probably the lowest lifetime average in the world, considering Sweden's hard winters - 151 Wh/km or 242 Wh/mile. I really take care of the car and drive carefully. So I was quite concerned by getting a used battery with no provenance - it could have been however mishandled by previous users.
The new (used) battery is installed,and the Tesla guys keep telling me that it is even better than my old one. They really don't care that I can prove that my practical range with the new battery has shrunk with almost 100 km on a full charge (that's 60 miles!) and also been able to prove that the capacity of this 85 battery lies a little bit less than - hold on - 55 kWh!!!!!! I have proved it by using normal maths and statistics.
The Tesla guys aren't willing to do anything and I need to complain to someone higher up, but have no addresses. Or I go public with this - it would be very damaging for Tesla, and I don't really want that.
But, OTOH, I am damned, if I am going to be happy getting a wreck of a battery like the one I am having in my P85 Sigrature.

Can anyone help me finding an email address to someone that can decide? Mine is [email protected] and my name is Robert von Bahr, Tesla's No 1 customer in Sweden and owner of 4 Teslas.

Reactions: henderrj