Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Pack Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did take a quick scan for similar inquiries and was unable to locate, so excuse my ignorance if I missed the similar thread.

Awaiting for our MY in the next few months, I would have to assume there is not even a mere chance of it possessing the 4680s.

Therefore the inquire, will we be able to upgrade the current battery back received for the upcoming 4680s?

I just throw it out, and again please excuse my ignorance on this matter,

It doesn't seem like many of the benefits of the 4680 pack are for the consumer anyway. There are certainly benefits to Tesla to make the Model Y with this pack -- cheaper, likely make assembly of the cars more efficient etc. I haven't heard anything that would lead me to believe that Model Ys will suddenly have more range or anything that consumers will see or benefit from.

Did take a quick scan for similar inquiries and was unable to locate, so excuse my ignorance if I missed the similar thread.

Awaiting for our MY in the next few months, I would have to assume there is not even a mere chance of it possessing the 4680s.

Therefore the inquire, will we be able to upgrade the current battery back received for the upcoming 4680s?

I just throw it out, and again please excuse my ignorance on this matter,

The cost of current batteries are somewhere in the 16-22k range. Even if tesla offered this (and they likely wont, for a whole number of reasons), it will be easier, and cheaper, to trade in your vehicle and buy a new one, than swap batteries in your existing one.

Its unlikely to be possible from a structural perspective, but even if it was (and the car could be programed to accept the larger battery, both which are highly unlikely in this case in my opinion) it will still be likely 20k.

TL ; DR one should buy the vehicle with the battery they expect to be in it for its vehicle lifetime.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung