Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery preconditioning for CCS-1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Earl The way you continually refer to "optimal charging temperature" and are valiantly attempting to dismiss this and throw it away if it deviates from "optimal charging temperature" is what is getting silly. This won't and can't always be "optimum", even with what Tesla's own preheating for Superchargers is doing now. When you arrive, if it's at a V2 Supercharger, there is no way to know in advance with what stall someone is going to get what the power level will be. That will depend on a few factors, like if they get on a shared stall that may be less power. So better is the goal here, rather than just shouting it down with NO if it's not optimum.

So dismissing the need for this just because in your opinion it might not be "optimum" is inappropriate. There are two valid points to this:
1. If the main purpose is to heat up the battery to get it ready to charge, that shouldn't have to be tied to wasting energy heating the cabin air from the app too.
2. And that only just barely gets the battery brought up to a little above freezing temperature, which will be pathetic for charging speeds at a DC fast charger. So getting it to warm up more than that will be a damn sight better than it entirely lacking that function right now.

So dismissing the need for this just because in your opinion it might not be "optimum" is inappropriate.
My point is that normal battery temperature is not too bad for anything other than V3 Supercharger speeds. Standard pre-conditioning and driving temperatures handle this just fine. This also is good for battery life so it can be done as often as one wishes. There is already the option to have one's car do this at any settable time.
The only thing missing really is extremely warm temperature that is optimal for maximum use of V3 Supercharging speeds (250 KW).

My point is that normal battery temperature is not too bad for anything other than V3 Supercharger speeds. Standard pre-conditioning and driving temperatures handle this just fine. This also is good for battery life so it can be done as often as one wishes. There is already the option to have one's car do this at any settable time.
The only thing missing really is extremely warm temperature that is optimal for maximum use of V3 Supercharging speeds (250 KW).
A cold battery with minimal (via cabin preconditioning) heating will really limit charging speeds at V2 SCs (and 150kw DCFCs). My M3, with a navigate to a SC, preheated battery will pull 170kw from a V3 and 144 from a V2/150kw DCFC but 70kw or less when cold but warmed via cabin preconditioning .

• Informative
Reactions: Genie and Rocky_H
A cold battery with minimal (via cabin preconditioning) heating will really limit charging speeds at V2 SCs (and 150kw DCFCs). My M3, with a navigate to a SC, preheated battery will pull 170kw from a V3 and 144 from a V2/150kw DCFC but 70kw or less when cold but warmed via cabin preconditioning .
It really doesn't.
That's just not true at all.
All right. If that's your experience, feel free to complain.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
It doesn't look like any station which doesn't have a NACS plug will ever be in navigation.
If you mean navigation destination which activates battery preconditioning, then I expect you're correct. However, most DCFC charging stations, such as EA or EVGO are searchable in the nav system and can be selected as waypoints or destinations; they just won't activate battery preconditioning. A way to spoof the system is to set a supercharger station as a destination and an EA station, for example, as a nearby waypoint, then the nav will precondition the battery in anticipation of arrival at the Tesla SC station, but you stop at the EA station to charge instead. I just did that today, as the EA station was nearer to my hotel.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H