Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery preconditioning ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After charging the battery to full (overnight), I disconnect the charging cable.
Everything seems normal.
15 min later , I walk in the garage, my M3 starts a humming sound (which I have heard many times previously)
Q1: does the car think I am about to drive it so it precondition the battery ? If not, what could cause this ?
Since I do not drive the car yet, I turn off Blue Tooth on my cell phone. Then wait for 30 min, walk near the car again. No sound which is what I expected. Does this make sense ? If it does, that means I should only turn ON blue tooth when I am about to drive the car.
Battery preconditioning consumes quite some percentage of the battery.
Attached the energy charts showing where the energy goes since the last full charge.

20240331_164308.jpg

20240331_164319.jpg

Tesla keeps recommending to plug in the car to prevent energy loss due to battery preconditioning and a few other things. Let's say, the car loses 5% over a week (parking, no driving). If the car is plug-in, there will be no energy loss, meaning the SoC level stays put. But it will consume home electricity, it this right.

Tesla keeps recommending to plug in the car to prevent energy loss due to battery preconditioning and a few other things. Let's say, the car loses 5% over a week (parking, no driving). If the car is plug-in, there will be no energy loss, meaning the SoC level stays put. But it will consume home electricity, it this right.

If you live in Northern Cal, just turn pre-conditioning off. You don't need it...just doesn't get that cold. You don't really have to keep the car plugged in unless you need to charge. Without preconditioning, my car will lose about 1% per week. unplugged.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
You program preconditioning so that it turns on a few minutes before you depart, and in California, you'd probably do it to pre-cool the cabin, not to warm the battery.