Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bay Area PGE rate plan for EV + Solar panel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thx a lot for the information, guys. It really helps. For my case, I don't think I want to use "Peak and Off-Peak", I will use the regular rate. I layout here to see if it makes sense.
1) I have large enough solar, it should cover my yearly usage including EV charges
2) I use solaredge Inverter EV Charger, it can use direct energy from Solar if I charge at day time, so I might not use any energy during my charges from PGE grid

Sorry for making the wrong assumption. I misunderstood your earlier comment that you charged off peak and interpreted that to mean from the grid.
I have a third party non Powerwall system as well. I have been tempted to tweak the programming but as I near my True Up I still have a credit that I am trying to burn off.

I see your signature now. That's an impressive system.

I have a lot of credit as well. Planning to install a hot tub to help with that.

Reactions: Ampster
I have been on a TOU rate for eight years with solar and it is a good thing if you can shift loads. Of particular interest to people who drive EVs are the very favorable off peak rates for charging.
I agree, I do quite well on PGE EV-A, but newer TOU plans that shift the peak period later are a lot more punishing. If I do nothing my annual true-up will nearly double once they kick me off EV-A for EV2-A.

I was merely responding to @loanchau2k ’s statement that they prefer to stay on the standard tiered plan and indicating that’s not possible under NEM 2.0.

Last edited:
Reactions: goldengate
I was merely responding to @loanchau2k ’s statement that they prefer to stay on the standard tiered plan
I appreciate your comments. My cynicism shows through since I think the trends are clear, at least in California. I assume many people on this forum are inclined to see the benefits of EVs and I believe EVs offer a way to leverage TOU rates despite the unfavorable trends in the utility sector.

Reactions: ucmndd
I agree, I do quite well on PGE EV-A, but newer TOU plans that shift the peak period later are a lot more punishing. If I do nothing my annual true-up will nearly double once they kick me off EV-A for EV2-A.

I was merely responding to @loanchau2k ’s statement that they prefer to stay on the standard tiered plan and indicating that’s not possible under NEM 2.0.
Honestly, EV-A was too good to be true. It was giving you almost 2:1 kWh between your solar generation and your Off-Peak charging. On EV2-A you only get 1:1 kWh because the majority of generation and overnight charging are both during Off-Peak. If you are home during the day, you can also charge your car directly from your solar and avoid the NBCs.

• Helpful
Reactions: mblakele
Honestly, EV-A was too good to be true. It was giving you almost 2:1 kWh between your solar generation and your Off-Peak charging. On EV2-A you only get 1:1 kWh because the majority of generation and overnight charging are both during Off-Peak. If you are home during the day, you can also charge your car directly from your solar and avoid the NBCs.

From your signature, I don't understand how 2 PWs can work with a small solar system like 4kW? How can the 4kW ever fully charge up those 2 PWs with all your daily consumption?

From your signature, I don't understand how 2 PWs can work with a small solar system like 4kW? How can the 4kW ever fully charge up those 2 PWs with all your daily consumption?
It doesn't and it doesn't have to. It's only really an issue during the 3 months in the depth of Winter. Beyond that, I can generate enough to make it through the Peak hours, which is really what I want. I just crank up the Reserve and cycle the Powerwalls at the top of the SOC instead of letting it bounce off the bottom, leaving little for outages.