Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bay Area PGE rate plan for EV + Solar panel

Thx a lot for the information, guys. It really helps. For my case, I don't think I want to use "Peak and Off-Peak", I will use the regular rate. I layout here to see if it makes sense.
1) I have large enough solar, it should cover my yearly usage including EV charges
2) I use solaredge Inverter EV Charger, it can use direct energy from Solar if I charge at day time, so I might not use any energy during my charges from PGE grid

Cheburashka

Jan 29, 2018
Los Gatos, CA
Sorry for making the wrong assumption. I misunderstood your earlier comment that you charged off peak and interpreted that to mean from the grid.
I have a third party non Powerwall system as well. I have been tempted to tweak the programming but as I near my True Up I still have a credit that I am trying to burn off.

I see your signature now. That's an impressive system.

I have a lot of credit as well. Planning to install a hot tub to help with that.

Reactions: Ampster

ucmndd

Mar 10, 2016
California
I have been on a TOU rate for eight years with solar and it is a good thing if you can shift loads. Of particular interest to people who drive EVs are the very favorable off peak rates for charging.
I agree, I do quite well on PGE EV-A, but newer TOU plans that shift the peak period later are a lot more punishing. If I do nothing my annual true-up will nearly double once they kick me off EV-A for EV2-A.

I was merely responding to @loanchau2k ’s statement that they prefer to stay on the standard tiered plan and indicating that’s not possible under NEM 2.0.

Last edited:
Reactions: goldengate

Ampster

Oct 5, 2012
Kenwood, California
I was merely responding to @loanchau2k ’s statement that they prefer to stay on the standard tiered plan
I appreciate your comments. My cynicism shows through since I think the trends are clear, at least in California. I assume many people on this forum are inclined to see the benefits of EVs and I believe EVs offer a way to leverage TOU rates despite the unfavorable trends in the utility sector.

Reactions: ucmndd

miimura

Aug 21, 2013
Los Altos, CA
I agree, I do quite well on PGE EV-A, but newer TOU plans that shift the peak period later are a lot more punishing. If I do nothing my annual true-up will nearly double once they kick me off EV-A for EV2-A.

I was merely responding to @loanchau2k ’s statement that they prefer to stay on the standard tiered plan and indicating that’s not possible under NEM 2.0.
Honestly, EV-A was too good to be true. It was giving you almost 2:1 kWh between your solar generation and your Off-Peak charging. On EV2-A you only get 1:1 kWh because the majority of generation and overnight charging are both during Off-Peak. If you are home during the day, you can also charge your car directly from your solar and avoid the NBCs.

• Helpful
Reactions: mblakele
Honestly, EV-A was too good to be true. It was giving you almost 2:1 kWh between your solar generation and your Off-Peak charging. On EV2-A you only get 1:1 kWh because the majority of generation and overnight charging are both during Off-Peak. If you are home during the day, you can also charge your car directly from your solar and avoid the NBCs.

From your signature, I don't understand how 2 PWs can work with a small solar system like 4kW? How can the 4kW ever fully charge up those 2 PWs with all your daily consumption?

miimura

Aug 21, 2013
Los Altos, CA
From your signature, I don't understand how 2 PWs can work with a small solar system like 4kW? How can the 4kW ever fully charge up those 2 PWs with all your daily consumption?
It doesn't and it doesn't have to. It's only really an issue during the 3 months in the depth of Winter. Beyond that, I can generate enough to make it through the Peak hours, which is really what I want. I just crank up the Reserve and cycle the Powerwalls at the top of the SOC instead of letting it bounce off the bottom, leaving little for outages.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC