Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bay Area - SC’s with the best fleet of Tesla loaners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

Wondering if anyone has knowledge or experience with SCs In the Bay Area.

I think we all agree, if we need to take a loaner, it is highly preferred to get a Tesla , any other car makes driving less enjoyable.

My first experience was with Sunnyvale and they had a bunch of new model S Loaners through enterprise. This went well and although I wanted my car back ASAP, it wasn’t painful waiting.

Next time I brought my car into Dublin and they gave me a BMW 4 series. It literally sat in my driveway for 3 days and I opted to drive my wife’s car.

Anyone know if Fremont has a good loaner fleet of teslas?

Hey all,

Wondering if anyone has knowledge or experience with SCs In the Bay Area.

I think we all agree, if we need to take a loaner, it is highly preferred to get a Tesla , any other car makes driving less enjoyable.

My first experience was with Sunnyvale and they had a bunch of new model S Loaners through enterprise. This went well and although I wanted my car back ASAP, it wasn’t painful waiting.

Next time I brought my car into Dublin and they gave me a BMW 4 series. It literally sat in my driveway for 3 days and I opted to drive my wife’s car.

Anyone know if Fremont has a good loaner fleet of teslas?
This week, I doubt any SC location has a good loaner fleet. They are all being sold in the end of year push.

Originally the loaners were actually owned by Tesla. I got to drive a couple of very nice pre-AP SP85+ cars that way about three years ago.

Nowadays it seems like the "loaners" are really base model cars that are owned by Enterprise. I mean they're S75Ds with basically no options at all (at least for whenever the car was built, since as we know Tesla keeps juggling around the options once or twice a year). I had a rude awakening on my last service loaner (it was an S75D with no AP)...I'd forgotten that cruise control on a non-AP car is really just cruise control, not TACC. Also, the car was locked into Chill acceleration with a speed limit of around 80 (maybe 85) mph, which for some Bay Area freeways barely lets you keep up with the flow of traffic. I'd agree it was better than an ICE loaner, but it sure didn't drive like my normal car. So be aware of these possible pitfalls when you take out a loaner.

When I returned the loaner, another customer who was just bringing his car in called dibs on it. The sales concierge person said "OK", and so I gave this guy a quick briefing on what to expect, since the odds were pretty high this wasn't going to drive like his car either.

A couple of people have mentioned the end-of-quarter push. I'm not sure what effect this has on Enterprise-owned loaners.

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: Blu Zap and MC408
I was at the Palo Alto SC last week and the Enterprise lady was rushed off her feet - one car after another. But they did seem to have a lot of Model S to loan out fortunately.

One thing of note is now they insist on having your insurance info beforehand - so make sure you have it on your person (mine was in my X which was still on the flatbed, so I had to get it from the insurance co.)

In the old days, I used to get random leftover inventory which sometimes were pretty nice cars. Once they switched to Enterprise and I got a Ford Fusion hybrid (absolutely terrible car). I haven't been in for service for a few years (nice to have a car that doesn't require regular service) so don't know what they're handing out now.

@bmah is right, I just was lent a Model S75, no D, no P, no TACC, no EAP. The ONLY cool thing about it was the free Supercharging.

I did drive the crap out of that thing and I NEVER seemed to be able to get as comfortable with throwing that car around as I am in the Model 3. And why is the side roll-down window so small? I tried to crawl out and it was HARD. And the windshield and rear window are really small for the view outside. And it charges so slow, never managed more than 93kW which was around 300 MPH charging, versus the 117kW and almost 500 MPH the Model 3 gets.

It was fun learning the differences in the 17" vs the 15" display, especially web pages. It was good seeing how comfortable (or not) it would be sleeping in the back. Now I really wanna drive a Model X to see how much I would like that compared to my TM3. I fear the SvC's will never loan a Model X again so I will have to rent one or find someone willing to swap for a week.

-Randy

Last edited: