TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Bay Area TMC forum meet

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by doug, Jul 20, 2008.

Tags:
  1. graham

graham Active Member

That date works for me.

2. graham

graham Active Member

I like the idea of having Food and/or something else on the agenda. But I also like the idea of visiting the store if it is feasible before or after. The store will have a better room for being able to talk and listen to people. A restaurant by itself is usually not as conducive to that sort of thing.

Has anyone actually been told by any Tesla representative that Martin is not welcome? Are we just going on conjecture?

-g

3. AGR

AGR Member

In most cases it would be the manufacturer that invites a club and its members to their facilities, not the other way around.

In most instances when members meet its rarely done on the premises of the manufacturer, its usually easy to have 10-12 people sitting together in a restaurant and have a meet.

Usually these meets gravitate to the parking lot to look at the various cars, in this case after the meet it could gravitate to the Tesla dealer for those who wish to visit the dealership.

Now if Tesla would step up and offer test drives....

4. Laurent

Laurent Member

The Menlo Park store does offer test drives to people who are on the waiting list or who have made a $5k deposit.

5. Bradleybang

Bradleybang Member

I will have to miss it. In San Diego that weekend.

6. DavidV

DavidV Member

So far we have:
    1. doug (me)
    2. graham
    3. TEG
    4. AGR??
    5. lorencc
    6. flabby
    7. Bradleybang
    8. MDR
    9. Martin??
    10. Laurent
    11. vfx??
    12. DavidV

-- DavidV

7. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#47 doug, Aug 2, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
    Sorry, I haven't been able to comment lately. The recent site outages have made it difficult and now I'm back East for the next week or so. So I'm only able to check-in occasionally.

The Tesla contact I made at the Menlo Park store opening is a guy in marketing. I emailed him back when I started this thread and he got back to me immediately. I emailed again several days ago about the possibility of Martin coming and I have yet to get a response. So no real word yet.

Most likely works for me.

8. doug

These are all possibilities. My original idea was to eventually have semi-regular meets. I thought the fist meeting would just be a simple "meet and greet" so I could gauge interest and we could see how it goes, and then perhaps something more elaborate in the future. I thought the store would be interesting enough for the first meeting, but we can certainly do something different.

As an alternate plan, I've thought of a few places at Stanford that might be good, since it's only a 5 minute drive from there to the Tesla store. Before, I had suggested the Stanford Oval as a place to meet. It's a nice grassy area to hang out with parking around (to perhaps ogle a certain car :wink:). A few of us could bring coolers with drinks. There's also the Rodin sculpture garden at the Stanford art museum. It's an interesting outdoor place to stand around and chat along with close by parking. There's a cafe there as well which gets pretty good reviews. I've never tried to go there on a Saturday, though. There are several different places at Stanford with BBQ grills available, as well a some local parks if we wanted to go that route. If someone wanted to give a presentation, I have access to several lecture halls which are typically free on a weekend.

Originally I had wanted to do this meet sooner, but the site outages kinda messed that up and now I'm out of town. Anyhow, the 23rd is a good date since it gives time for plans to solidify. We just need to come to a consensus.

9. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Regardless of what we decide to do, we should also converge on the Electric Car Rally happening at Palo Alto high school on Sept. 6th.

Martin, do you plan to bring your Roadster there this year?

10. flabby

flabby Member

I should be able to make a meeting on the 23rd.

11. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Argh... my kids school does a camp-out that weekend. Looks like I am going to miss the PA EV rally this year. Others should go...

23rd still looking like a go for something though.

12. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

13. doug

Ok, let's firm things up for this Saturday the 23rd.

Well meet at 11am at Stanford and then most likely make our way to the store after an hour or so. I'll be the coordinating point of contact. Send me an email (you can do that with this link) and I'll respond with my cell phone number. It's also useful if I have your email addresses in case there's a change of plans and (god forbid) this site is down.

The indication I'm getting is that it's most likely ok for us, including Martin to visit the showroom. Certainly we can go as individuals and I don't think our group is very big. I need a firm head count, though, so I can give them a heads up. It would also be helpful to know how many of you are owners/depositors. If you don't want to announce that here, you can tell me via email.

14. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

15. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Will not be attending. Can make it Sept 13th though :rolleyes:

16. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Got a note from Doug that RSVPs were not very many, and it seems Martin is now going out of town Saturday, so this may not happen after all...

:frown:

I suppose Doug will update us if things are back on again.

17. doug

Yeah, it's disappointing that Martin can't make it, but I think we should still meet. People are just a little slow to respond. I suppose I should have said post here too, just didn't want to give my phone number out publicly.
    About 5 have responded to me so far and I think that's enough to go ahead. Including TEG and me that's already 7. Originally I thought there should be a minimum of 4. At the Menlo Park opening, I met 3 other forum members and that already provided a couple hours of interesting conversation. Actually, I'd prefer we stay under 15.

So I think we should go ahead and still meet at Stanford. Get to know each other a bit, put names to faces as it were, chat for a while. Then head over to the store to look at cars for a bit. Probably a good idea to stagger our arrival so we don't look like a mob. Then afterwards those interested can go somewhere for lunch. Max's Opera cafe is a good place for a group.

18. graham

graham Active Member

I am still game if others are.

Also willing to wait for a different date if that would be better.

19. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

No reason why we can't do a small meet at first, and another in a while.

20. doug

I don't think Jeremy will mind if I pass on this message: