Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BC EV rebate to run out of money soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a feeling BC Government will top it up for one more time (probably last time)

CEV - MAY 142.PNG

Yeah they emailed me saying it would be topped up.. but of course with delivery in 3 weeks I’m pretty nervous anyways... the way government works it could just be someone forgets to forward an email and then ‘oops’ we didn’t get the fund topped up in time! “Darn.. too bad for those suckers who heard we would top it up!”

I spoke with Tesla today and they couldn’t commit to an amount for me to put on my bank draft for purchase, because of the uncertainty of the status of the CEV rebate.

So I contacted the government ministers office in charge of the cev program (ministry of energy and mines) to find out more details on the status of this top-up, as essentially the ministry has to transfer funds to the cevforbc organization. If you are also nervous about this, it might help for you to contact the ministers office yourself to enquire and express your concern, and to demonstrate that this is something that affects (x) number of people. Please remember to be nice! They were very quick to answer the phone, polite, and did commit to get back to me by tomorrow.

Honourable Michelle Mungall
Minister of Energy, Mines & Petroleum
PO Box 9060 Stn Prov Govt
Victoria, BC V8W 9E2

Send an e-mail to the Minister
Phone: 250 953-0900

• Informative
Reactions: AdamMacDon
I spoke with Tesla today and they couldn’t commit to an amount for me to put on my bank draft for purchase, because of the uncertainty of the status of the CEV rebate.

So I contacted the government ministers office in charge of the cev program (ministry of energy and mines) to find out more details on the status of this top-up, as essentially the ministry has to transfer funds to the cevforbc organization. If you are also nervous about this, it might help for you to contact the ministers office yourself to enquire and express your concern, and to demonstrate that this is something that affects (x) number of people. Please remember to be nice! They were very quick to answer the phone, polite, and did commit to get back to me by tomorrow.

Honourable Michelle Mungall
Minister of Energy, Mines & Petroleum
PO Box 9060 Stn Prov Govt
Victoria, BC V8W 9E2

Send an e-mail to the Minister
Phone: 250 953-0900

Thanks for this. I just emailed the minister too, very politely.

When are you guys expecting your car? My delivery is now estimated to mid/end of June! It's going to be a nail biter to see if even the additional funds (assuming they are added) will last that long.

Had the chance to get a 2019 Leaf this week, and passed on it... hope I did the right thing.

• Helpful
Reactions: Vawlkus
When are you guys expecting your car? My delivery is now estimated to mid/end of June! It's going to be a nail biter to see if even the additional funds (assuming they are added) will last that long.

Had the chance to get a 2019 Leaf this week, and passed on it... hope I did the right thing.

Either way you did the right thing by placing the order now. I ordered and deliver the car back at March this year and I missed out the federal incentive, the price reduction (SR+ with AP), as well as AP3.

I don't get the reserved fund. You can get the $5K before you do a full payment?! So dealerships can apply on just a hold?

It really should be on final sales.
This is causing me significant stress.
I learned a lot on the phone today having spoken to Tesla, to the independent cevforbc administrators, and the ministry providing funding to the cevforbc program.

On the reserve fund I learned that once you have a vin and a deposit/purchase agreement, the manufacturer can reserve the funds, but only valid for 90 days!

Tesla chooses to only reserve funds about a week ahead of delivery. Let say there are 40 deliveries a day in BC times 6 days a week, that’s a theoretical 240 deliveries a week, corresponding to $1.2M of reserved funds. Since reserved funds are at about $9M right now that means that 7.8M in funds are reserved by other manufacturers. With rebates between $2500-$5000 that is 1500-3000 vehicles just by other manufacturers! I have very low confidence that in BC that many EV’s will be delivered in the next 90 days, so if reservations expire their funds go back into the pool.

Word from the ministry staff who returned my call is that they are working feverishly to replenish the fund before it runs out. So I’m still holding my breath a bit but I feel like things will work out all right in the end. They all (CEVFORBC staff and ministry staff) seem to be on the same page regarding replenishing the funding.

Reactions: AdamMacDon
This is causing me significant stress.
On the reserve fund I learned that once you have a vin and a deposit/purchase agreement, the manufacturer can reserve the funds, but only valid for 90 days!

That's IS frustrating, so dealerships are hoarding the funds? If I understand correctly, the dealership can always sell the vehicle to another person if the initial buyer pulls out without any risks, since the funds are already registered under that VIN?