Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BC Government changes EV rebate program, Tesla Model 3/Y lose eligibility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m considering pulling the trigger on a model Y tomorrow before this rule comes into effect. Do people think this is a good idea or should I wait for a better incentive? I can wait until November of this year before I have switch my M3 to a MY due to space needs

I’m considering pulling the trigger on a model Y tomorrow before this rule comes into effect. Do people think this is a good idea or should I wait for a better incentive? I can wait until November of this year before I have switch my M3 to a MY due to space needs
My guess is that, in most jurisdictions, the trend will be towards lower incentives in the future. Take the incentives when they are available and don't look back. But as they say, predictions are difficult especially if they involve future events. ;)

I applaud Tesla for doing that but...we're still getting a bad deal because Tesla M3/MY sold in Canada are mostly MIC and they should be much cheaper (adjusted for exchange) than MUSA models sold by Tesla USA, but they're not.
Assuming same manufacturing process why would that be? I'd imagine there would be higher shipping charges if anything.
They certainly not as cheaply put together as MUSA ones apparently.

Assuming same manufacturing process why would that be? I'd imagine there would be higher shipping charges if anything.
They certainly not as cheaply put together as MUSA ones apparently.
There's a reason that the USA and EU are slapping high tariffs on MIC cars. They have much lower manfacturering costs because every aspect of the production is less expensive than in the USA. Based upon EU tariffs, and in China retail price it's something like 30% lower.

So we punish those who can produce something of similar quality and arguably better quality at a lower cost? 🤔

AFAIK, USA and EU are slapping tariffs to simply protect its vehicle manufacturers thereby artificially inflating imported cars (in this case China). One would argue this would backfire altogether.

Back on topic, I am glad BC government is doing this. Curious to see other mfgs responses. This CleanBC program might be running out of money. Looks like Model Y has found a price floor remaining at $53.9k

This is an article from 2023. The Performance and LR were being shipped from China until late 2023 i believe and since then they've changed all of them to made in California. you can tell by the VIN numbers and the fact that certain colours (i.e cherry red, quicksilver) are not available in Canada as the Fremont factory can't do those colours. The made in China ones are actually a better build imo as my friends have a couple of them. My guess is they were shipping from China to meet the increased demand in NA where as in China the demands was being reduced due to competition from BYD and others.

Reactions: DuncanM