Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Be aware! Missing Control Arm Nut: Potential Safety Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of who are clueless about these things but worry about it nonetheless. Is there a less than obvious symptom that should be of concern. I noticed yesterday that the alignment is off. Car pulls to the slight right when the steering is at 12 o clock.

Nah, thats just bad factory alignment happens to every brand. You can see the nuts/bolts we are talking about through the wheels near the bottom of the brake rotor. If they are on there and look tight against the lockwasher and you don't have any clunking/popping etc, they should be good.

It’s not possible to accurately check torque - with a simple google search you’ll discover why. Don’t panic - if you hear a clunk or see the nuts are loose get with your service center. If this were a widespread issue it would screamed from the mountain tops already, as some here are quick to assume and actively encourage as with any issue.

Nah, thats just bad factory alignment happens to every brand. You can see the nuts/bolts we are talking about through the wheels near the bottom of the brake rotor. If they are on there and look tight against the lockwasher and you don't have any clunking/popping etc, they should be good.
Thanks. Will have them check anyway when alignment happens. This is crazy world that we have to even think of this. Not cool.

It’s not possible to accurately check torque - with a simple google search you’ll discover why. Don’t panic - if you hear a clunk or see the nuts are loose get with your service center. If this were a widespread issue it would screamed from the mountain tops already, as some here are quick to assume and actively encourage as with any issue.
Understood. I agree. But 5 cars may be too many with this.

I just checked my up front, the nuts are there, but I did not check the torque on the nuts. Probably should do that.

I was convinced before I checked that on mine nut is missing since there is a very unnatural noise, clank coming from front suspension when you break and turn the wheel to turn. I take it this noise is not normal and I should have service look into it.

Queue in the guy that posts saying OP is the short trader o_O

It’s a crazy world when anyone with a smart phone can post anything to the masses on a whim, part of the deal with the devil.
And create concern. But I wonder if the balance is not posting and waiting for a manufacturer to take initiative. I guess I'd rather know this has happened and learn to check that something significant like this is or is not loose. We had our usual fit and finish items at delivery but took solace in knowing/thinking that the important stuff is solid.

And create concern. But I wonder if the balance is not posting and waiting for a manufacturer to take initiative. I guess I'd rather know this has happened and learn to check that something significant like this is or is not loose. We had our usual fit and finish items at delivery but took solace in knowing/thinking that the important stuff is solid.
No I totally agree, took a look at mine myself just to make sure they were there and they weren't obviously backing off - I'm leaving on a long road trip shortly. It's obvious OP has a valid concern and I'm sure we all hope it's a very limited issue as most. My comments were more in reference to earlier posts and those mentioning tents, college kids, etc... who start piling on with their negative comments, automatically assuming the worst. People who really add nothing constructive to discussions but feel the need to get their shots in at every perceived opportunity - boring really...

Last edited:
Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
So I got down there and took the pictures, was concerned about that gap between the balljoint rubber and the lower arm, took a torque bar to it at 129lbs and could not budge it, it’s tight and not going anywhere. Will mark it with a sharpie later and keep an eye on it.

77AFF157-C5F0-4E2C-AB5C-ACD9A05F7C1E.jpeg

6705E5B8-94D1-48F9-ABF3-846CCD5467B7.jpeg

35E4E203-9865-4C43-875F-740151870BF5.jpeg

So I got down there and took the pictures, was concerned about that gap between the balljoint rubber and the lower arm, took a torque bar to it at 129lbs and could not budge it, it’s tight and not going anywhere. Will mark it with a sharpie later and keep an eye on it.

QuOTE]

Not sure that that"gap" is significant. My car has it as well on the rubber boot with the metal ring holder.