Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Be Careful parking at Logan-Got a ticket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd disagree on "clearly" - it does state that ChargePoint is for the EVSEs, but it doesn't say the 120V outlets are not to be used (especially since they are right at the EV spaces).

I agree they should put a very clear sign at the space with 120 outlet-before handing out tickets. My only point was to show the information on site spells it out clearly (at least to me).

• Informative
Reactions: ArcticStation
Sorry to go a bit off topic, but I have a similar issue with MBTA . On my visits to the Boston area, I usually park at Alewife and take the Red Line into town. I've never been able to charge at Alewife. The few EV only sites are always full long before I arrive (usually around 8:00AM) and even though they are plugged in, I have yet to see more than one or two cars actually charging. Although I'm sure they exist, I have yet to spot a 120V receptacle anywhere other than at Dunkin', behind Charlie Card machines and at the news stand, but never within the parking structure. Has anyone ever discovered and used 120V to charge at Alewife? And do those deadbeats that are plugged in but not charging ever get towed or ticketed? Frustrating.

Has anyone ever discovered and used 120V to charge at Alewife?
The problem with arbitrary 120V outlets is that you can't be sure they are all on their own circuit. The first person plugs in and it might be fine. The second person plugs in on an outlet 10' away and the breaker trips.

(this is the only excuse I can imagine for them not allowing charging at Logan at the 120V outlets)

Reactions: ElectricTravel
Parked at Logan Central Parking earlier this month in the EV/Alternative Fuel area on Level 6. I parked for 5 days and my state of charge dropped about 1% per day. I found no need to plug in to trickle charge, and there are clearly not enough chargers for long-term use. I'm not even sure why there are chargers in the garage to begin with.

I could see putting chargers in cell phone lots, but longer term I don't know. SFO installed hundreds of EV chargers, which means there's some available for long term parking, but given how little charge is lost when parking and the prevalence of chargers outside airports, the cost doesn't make sense.

This is where a simple 120v outlet would be best, no need for high power charging if you are leaving your car for anything more than a few hours. If they had the charge points etc in the short term lot, that would make sense as they turn over quickly. Since the 120v might take a day to fully charge a completely discharged system, it is not as if they would be using full power all the time, mostly to top off and maintain charge. In the frozen north, the use of 120v outlets at parking places is well known as engine heaters. It is not a giant leap to use the same system for EV charging.

Reactions: digitalDCH
This is where a simple 120v outlet would be best, no need for high power charging if you are leaving your car for anything more than a few hours. If they had the charge points etc in the short term lot, that would make sense as they turn over quickly. Since the 120v might take a day to fully charge a completely discharged system, it is not as if they would be using full power all the time, mostly to top off and maintain charge. In the frozen north, the use of 120v outlets at parking places is well known as engine heaters. It is not a giant leap to use the same system for EV charging.

I'm saying I don't understand the 120v either. Who is arriving to an airport with a flat battery, or even an empty fuel tank? The speed of charging isn't the big point, the lack of requirement to charge is the issue at hand. I live in "the frozen north" and this winter when I tracked it, the discharge was still under 2% a day. And block heater outlets frequently turn on and off throughout the day because it's a waste of energy to leave them on constantly, plus they aren't very common anymore. Especially in the Boston area where they never caught on and were never needed.

I'm saying I don't understand the 120v either. Who is arriving to an airport with a flat battery, or even an empty fuel tank? The speed of charging isn't the big point, the lack of requirement to charge is the issue at hand. I live in "the frozen north" and this winter when I tracked it, the discharge was still under 2% a day. And block heater outlets frequently turn on and off throughout the day because it's a waste of energy to leave them on constantly, plus they aren't very common anymore. Especially in the Boston area where they never caught on and were never needed.
I got to Logan once last winter with < 20% (my fault for not leaving early enough to top off in Framingham). There were lots of open J1772's in central parking for my 3 day midweek trip, so I grabbed one, for fear of not having enough charge to get to a supercharger upon my return. Even more open stations when I got back, so hopefully nobody was inconvenienced.