TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Beach Road Trip...bad idea?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by tentimesodds, Aug 28, 2018.

1. tentimesodds

tentimesodds Member

Taking delivery of my AWD (hopefully) next Thursday, and then heading to the beach (about 200 miles away) the following Monday. Is it a bad idea to road trip so soon after delivery (in case there is a motor problem or any other early-life issue)? And how bad for the paint is parking near the ocean? Thanks

2. bradkeller

bradkeller Member

Seven days after we took delivery of our Model 3, we drove over 800 miles to Florida, and stayed for two weeks. Round trip, including side trips to Disney and other places, we drove 2,500 miles within 22 days of taking delivery. We had zero problems. Go for it.

• Like x 2
  3. Tdriver

Tdriver Member

Early failures on new cars happen but are very rare. Enjoy the car and don't worry about the paint at the ocean. Worst case.....a wash job.

4. jareade

jareade Supporting Member

Don't worry about it. Some of us even keep our cars near the ocean all the time! :eek:

• Funny x 1
  5. Gavyne

Gavyne Member

If you get bird droppings, make sure to clean that off fast or it'll etch the paint. Other than have fun!

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. bolton2160

bolton2160 Member

We took ours up to Big Bear for a week loaded with kids and luggage the right after we took delivery. I figured anything can happen at any time new or old. I say go for it.

7. kwazi7

kwazi7 Member

Some of us don't have the luxury for such problems! Jerk!

Just kidding.. I, too, would be concerned, but hey, life is too short to sweat that kind of ultra-low-probability stuff right?

/Impatient customer waiting for an update on his order

• Funny x 3
  8. Kermee

Kermee It's Not Easy Being Green

Just don't drive it straight into the ocean. Then you should okay.

Kidding aside, right after I took delivery yesterday, I hit a Supercharger and drove 140 miles into Canada. No issues to report. It's going to feel like with all the threads here that you're going to have a high chance of having issues with your Model 3, but the general consensus is that the number of severe issues is relatively small. It's just amplified here because most of us come here to vent or looking for help. Just knock on wood before you head off and you should be fine. :)

• Funny x 1
  9. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Peanut Gallery Member

Yeah there is no "break-in" period for these cars. I took mine on an 800 mile round trip after four weeks of ownership and it was just fine. If anything, It gave me confidence that the car was actually built well. This confidence can easily be shaken by perusing these forums too much.

10. JDea

JDea Member

Same here I took it on a 400 mile trip the weekend I got the car, had no problems with it. And then another 1000+ mile trip after a month and the only issue is having to clean the bugs off my front bumper.

11. aSlowOldGUy

aSlowOldGUy Member

6 days after purchase, 120 miles to the beach for the weekend, then back 2 days later. Go for it - no problems other than the constant desire to summon up the instant torque!

12. ForeverFree

ForeverFree Supporting Member

We've had three Teslas and road tripped in each shortly after taking delivery.

Enjoy spending time in your new Model 3!

13. tentimesodds

tentimesodds Member

Thanks y'all--will report back with (hopefully) a successful trip review!