Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beekeeping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm happy for the co-inventors - in less than an hour, they've reached (as of right now) 340% of their goal. This will probably be one of the most successful funding campaigns ever. I can only imagine the jumping, screaming, and fist pumping in the air going on right now. :)

Wow. Over $550k.

I have been wanting to start one but if I get this I would prolly have to start it next spring given the delivery dates. Given the winters up here I would want to make sure they had enough food for the winter. I signed up for one day "Beekeeping in Northern Climates" class at the University of Minnesota in March so I hope to learn more.

Last edited:
So could I get into bee keeping even though I live in Texas? Not sure if location matters for keeping bees....I would love to help the bee community and create my own natural honey.
Texas is big in honey bees. Have you never been to Burleson? There are huge bee farms just a little south of you! Burlesons Honey - All natural true source honey

I'm going to venture down to Navasota to get the bees for this hive -- basically because I waited too long and the local providers I know are sold-out for 2015.

Would you recommend getting their "Complete Full Flow Hive" for a beginner that comes with everything but the bees? Or just build or buy the hive and buy their frames?

They want quite a premium for a bottom board, bottom super, basic frames, and a top. I think you can get them at less than the $250 premium, myself. Many times you can find used woodware for less.

"Top bar hives are less expensive to build or purchase than Langstroth or other foundation/frame-dependant beekeeping equipment. They do not require honey supers, extra frames, foundation, queen excluders, uncapping knifes, extractors or other expensive tools; they are almost fully self-contained beehives.

In addition to being a low-cost alternative to traditional equipment, they are significantly easier to work in than a Langstroth hive. When one inspects comb in a horizontal top bar hive, only 1 comb at a time is exposed, thus leaving the rest of the colony undisturbed. This makes for less agitated bees, and a more enjoyable experience for the beekeeper."
Source: beethinking.com

"Top bar hives are less expensive to build or purchase than Langstroth or other foundation/frame-dependant beekeeping equipment. They do not require honey supers, extra frames, foundation, queen excluders, uncapping knifes, extractors or other expensive tools; they are almost fully self-contained beehives.

I don't think there are any bad choices - it all comes down to personal preference.

- - - Updated - - -

They want quite a premium for a bottom board, bottom super, basic frames, and a top. I think you can get them at less than the $250 premium, myself. Many times you can find used woodware for less.

Yep. If you want to buy new, Brushy Mountain or Mann Lake are both good choices imo. And you can almost always find used woodwork locally on craigslist.

A gallery of Flow Hive photos was posted. It gets more and more intriguing.

Flowâ„¢ Gallery - Flow Hive

View attachment 72699

This is what bees be like when they catch you stealing from their tap:

3a14de753ee4ef159845c6cd7a9fb9bc.jpg

Got an update from Flowhive today.

They have set new records for the fastest company to break $1M and $2M on Indiegogo. Gotta love innovators. I hope they find the time to open up a few Fosters and celebrate!

Most Australians eschew Foster's (made for export) for a different Australian beer. I'm partial to Crown Lager myself, but a lot of people prefer VB (Victoria Bitter).

But yes - celebrate away.

In 10 years, I imagine those frames will be about $20 ea.