Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Before They Knew Tesla Wasn't Going To Pay For Advertising

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model T came out 110 years ago. It's not unfair to classify Tesla as being from a different lifetime.

Since the Model T was made in 1908, I guess you’d be right if you were 110 years old. For the rest of us, we might agree with R&T’s assessment. :)

The quote was "most important car America has made in an entire lifetime." which refers to America's lifetime, presumably United States of America but even if you assume "America" refers to the continent, either span more than 110 years.

If the quote said "most important car America has made in an entire lifetime of an average human", then you'd be right (longest living person lived almost 123 years, so you have to say "average" not "longest").

If the quote said "most important car America has made in an entire lifetime of a mayfly", then of course this would be a whole different category - 365 most important cars per year. ;)

The quote was "most important car America has made in an entire lifetime." which refers to America's lifetime, presumably United States of America but even if you assume "America" refers to the continent, either span more than 110 years.

Continent and countries are not alive, at least not in the literal sense of the word. It makes no sense to refer to the figurative lifetime of the country or the continent in the sentence above when one can simply say "ever".

Reactions: Ken7
Continent and countries are not alive, at least not in the literal sense of the word. It makes no sense to refer to the figurative lifetime of the country or the continent in the sentence above when one can simply say "ever".
America as a country or continent also didn't make the car, so obviously is not meant to be literal. When they refer to America as making a car, they also refer to America as having lifetime, i.e. since it was born in 1776 and still alive and kicking. Of course by defining "lifetime" any way you want, you can make almost any car the most important one made during that lifetime of something or someone.

That title belongs to the "Model T", and no the "T" does not stand for Tesla. ;)
So it was "important" to usher in the age of the greatest human-caused destruction of the Earth's environment? Because that is exactly what the model T started (among other things). Personally, I'd say it is a lot more important to introduce the car that may lead to the reversal of the trends of planet-wide environmental destruction.

So it was "important" to usher in the age of the greatest human-caused destruction of the Earth's environment? Because that is exactly what the model T started (among other things). Personally, I'd say it is a lot more important to introduce the car that may lead to the reversal of the trends of planet-wide environmental destruction.
You speak of the bicycle

• Funny
Reactions: brianman and hacer
I remember that article. That's one of the "advertisements" that made me to buy my first Tesla.

As for meaning of "an entire life" I don't think anyone would take it as anything other than our life which at this point is a little less than 80 years for most.

Reactions: croman
I became aware of the Model S in my December 2012 issue of Automobile Magazine when it was on the cover and it was Automobile Car of the Year. I knew about the Roadster but not never paid much attention to Tesla at that time, loved everything about the Model S and besides being a BEV how beautiful it was and started to do some reasearch. Finally went to Menlo Park showroom and drove one and that was it.

If the quote said "most important car America has made in an entire lifetime of an average human", then you'd be right (longest living person lived almost 123 years, so you have to say "average" not "longest").

If the quote said "most important car America has made in an entire lifetime of a mayfly", then of course this would be a whole different category - 365 most important cars per year. ;)
You’re kidding, right? Clearly they’re talking about an average person’s lifetime and not that of a person who lives to 123. Further, countries don’t have ‘lifetimes’. This is a great example of tortured logic.

Last edited:

"an" entire lifetime instead of "its" or "her" entire lifetime means they were NOT referring specifically to America's lifetime.

Reactions: SDRick
If it wasn't for the Model T, we wouldn't have had an automobile industry, or a public road system, or Tesla. By extension, we wouldn't have had many human advances enabled by transportation, including better and cheaper goods like food and healthcare. But maybe that is your argument, humans affect Earth's environment, so we should just remove all humans from the planet and have a pristine human free Earth. Are you planning to leave Earth to eliminate your impact on the environment? ;)

If it wasn't for the Model T, we wouldn't have had an automobile industry, or a public road system, or Tesla. By extension, we wouldn't have had many human advances enabled by transportation, including better and cheaper goods like food and healthcare. But maybe that is your argument, humans affect Earth's environment, so we should just remove all humans from the planet and have a pristine human free Earth. Are you planning to leave Earth to eliminate your impact on the environment? ;)
Humans have been around for about 2 million years, but:
CO2-Emissions-vs-Levels.gif

The dramatic planetary scale destruction didn't start until about the time of the model T. People were (are) stupid and could not imagine (or care about) the harm they would cause. Not everyone of course, but most thought nothing of polluting - even today many still think this way. It seems that you are among that group.

History is what it is, but it didn't have to be that way. I think there could have been slower and less damaging progress but of course it didn't happen. Perhaps in the future the "important" (as used by you) thing will turn out to have been the development of nuclear bombs, or biological warfare agents if they come to see widespread use and oil burning will not have mattered much.

Since the evidence of ecological destruction is now plain to see, it's reasonable to decide what was "important" and what was perhaps an unfortunate short-cut. The automobile brought a lot of change both good and bad. The model T was probably the most remarkable car ever, but Teslas are definitely more important.

It may be that the unfortunate path we're on will cause the end of human existence in a few hundred years but it's not certain - we could change our ways. Of course the Earth (and life) will survive even if most vertebrates are driven to extinction. Personally I'll stick around while trying not to make matters worse. It seems you instead like the idea of making maters worse (for selfish gain) with no care for the future.

• Love
Reactions: Unpilot

If not for Model T we could have our EV age a century sooner. There were more electric cars than steam or gasoline cars in the beginning of last century. They were popular for the same reasons we like them today, which is they are cleaner and perform better than other types of vehicles. For whatever reasons, including conspiration theory that oil cartel was behind it, Ford decided to make Model T to run on gasoline only. In that sense you might be right that if there was no Model T there would not be Tesla today. And that's all good. Actually really really good.

Reactions: croman