Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Benefits to Delayed Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone loves HUD until there is a chip or a crack on the windscreen and then they see the cost of replacing their uber expensive FAD.
Who personally pays for windscreens? Just about every insurance policy pays for replacement on a no fault basis

Tesla tech is in 2 main areas, trying to autonomously drive and entertainment, there’s very little for actual drivers driving. This video rattles through loads of features which seems to highlight the point. The key phrase is “drivers driving”, that’s not to say Tesla don’t have a lot of tech elsewhere.

As for changes, MY air suspension has been mentioned, I doubt it would be battery or motor related given the changes last year.

Who personally pays for windscreens? Just about every insurance policy pays for replacement on a no fault basis

Tesla tech is in 2 main areas, trying to autonomously drive and entertainment, there’s very little for actual drivers driving. This video rattles through loads of features which seems to highlight the point. The key phrase is “drivers driving”, that’s not to say Tesla don’t have a lot of tech elsewhere.

As for changes, MY air suspension has been mentioned, I doubt it would be battery or motor related given the changes last year.
Just because someone else pays doesn't mean HUD has to be a standard spec. There is a reason why HUD is an upgrade in other cars. Most dealers would look you in the eye and tell you that windscreen damages are quite common and that HUD windscreens are both difficult and expensive to source and replace.

Yes I've had a BMW with driver assistance plus. It's a radar based system like any other so on a motorway, it would have a ping pong effect constantly steering between lanes. Then there are restrictions on the kind of road where acc would operate with most roads only cruise control. As driver assistance tools they are quite good but assisting your child to do well in exams is not the same as creating a new robot that can beat humans.

Reactions: spdpsba
Everyone loves HUD until there is a chip or a crack on the windscreen and then they see the cost of replacing their uber expensive FAD.
Sorry I don’t get this? HUD is usually a projector sitting on the dash oriented upwards, the image is simply reflected in the windscreen.
Afaik there are no special windscreen for huds, it’s a regular one, so why would it cost more to replace?

Reactions: robmcm
I can't help thinking the (slightly) higher cost of a windscreen replacement making a HUD is bad idea is stretching things a little. If you've ever owned a car with a HUD, they're great. The reason why manufacturers make it an option on some cars is because they can include it as a cost option and/or differentiate higher spec models in some way. I'm also pretty sure some of the glass in a Tesla like the M3 rear roof, the MX windscreen etc are all more expensive than a regular windcreen, with or without HUD support. When I had my MS windscreen replaced, they sent 2 people, and they told me that MX windscreens required 4 people to change - thats not cheap to do.

Either way, HUD ain't coming to Teslas any time soon.

You need a different windscreen for a HUD, it has a polarising layer to reflect the image.
Didn’t knew that! Thanks! Couldn’t it be achieved cheaply with a small 6x4 film applied on the inside covering the projection area? (But probably some regs preventing something limiting direct visibility?)
Haven’t looked but I’m sure there are already Chinese aftermarket hud add-ons, no?

I know it won't happen as this is probably something they are holding back for their "premium" vehicles, but how would everyone feel if Tesla switched the yoke from just the Model S and Model X to the model 3 and model Y too?

I think that is the only way a 2nd display/HUD works really as the yoke doesn't obstruct your view nearly as much.

I think a yoke is awful for regular driving and I've managed to drive with a regular steering wheel for years and still somehow manage to see things on the dashboard and above it.

If someone wants a yoke though, good for them, but I would actively not want a car that had one as the only option.

I'd be happy with a HUD, some implementations of them are really impressive (like those AR arrows with navigation) and I'd not mind a proper dash with speedo, etc and some fixed buttons or levers for things like wipers, etc. would be great. I expect I will be driving the car mostly myself and I don't buy the autopilot hype and don't think it'll happen within the next ten years. The Tesla is a compromise around price, performance, efficiency, usefulness for me, etc. vs. features I'd argue it probably should have that it lacks or have better versions, like all other cars. I'd not be sad for Elon Musk to go do something else.

Reactions: WllXM and Zilla91
I'm sure you can get used to it or indulge in some sunk cost fallacy but it's not for me. I'm getting a Model Y, which is a SUV/cross over, not a race car.

Basically every other passenger car comes with a wheel and seems to work for everyone. If you're having visibility troubles you might want to lift your seat or adjust the wheel position.

[HUD] some implementations of them are really impressive (like those AR arrows with navigation)

I've never been in a car with HUD so I have no point of reference. (I didn't know I needed electric windows or central locking until I first had a car that included them ...)

I'm not sure what the benefit of an arrow on screen (I get that it is in my eyeline) is compared to a voice saying "Turn right in 100 yards" (and a map on main screen with birds eye view if I need to figure if it is THIS one of the NEXT one)

I'm not sure what the benefit of an arrow on screen (I get that it is in my eyeline) is compared to a voice saying "Turn right in 100 yards" (and a map on main screen with birds eye view if I need to figure if it is THIS one of the NEXT one)
The augmented reality ones overlay directional guidance positioned in 3D to where you'd actually have to eg. take a turn, or what lane to be in, by visually highlighting that lane, etc.

The problem with voice nav I find is it's usually a bit off, and I've had some systems conveniently tell me to turn way too late, not give much in the way of lane assistance, etc. The distance guidance is also a bit too fluffy for mine as eg. 500 yards can become a bit meaningless a measure while you're driving at speed X. Usually with nav I'd actually find myself looking at the map more than listening too much to the voice.

Seeing as Tesla is such a tech leader you'd think they'd be all over it. It's something that's practical and can be done today and relies on telemetry, etc. using tech they've largely already developed and can make driving more pleasant and less stressful.

I'd love to see basics things like the parcel shelf, but also it'd be nice if the matrix lights actually did something and the console USB ports did data again. Realistically I think maybe parcel shelf.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
But have you actually tried the yoke though? The only reason I ask is every video I have watched of someone who was sceptical about them have ended up preferring them.
If there was some kind of adjusted power steering, reducing turning radius at low speed and improving stability at high ones, why not. But as it stands I believe it’s just a convoluted replacement for a dumb wheel, and I don’t believe habits and reflexes that I accumulated through the last decades of driving would play well with that. Nice for Knight Rider nostalgics though…

I’ve seen some people have replaced the wheel in their 3/Y with a Yoke bought on aliexpress, not only would it be an instant impound on a police stop / MOT fail, but I believe they are a danger to other road users in an emergency situation

Reactions: TheRealWatto
Elon's thoughts were ...

“We discussed a HUD [for Model 3]. I’ve tried various HUDs and I find them pretty annoying. We felt that [Model 3] would increasingly go towards self-driving, and then you wouldn’t really care about having [information] on the windscreen. So, as things are approaching autonomy, why project things that you don’t care about on the [windscreen]?" Musk said.
Coz .... i will prefer to have HUD for 10 years i.e by the time autonomy arrives.

Reactions: up_north and WllXM
I've never been in a car with HUD so I have no point of reference. (I didn't know I needed electric windows or central locking until I first had a car that included them ...)

The voiceover is regularly wrong for me. Take 2nd exit when it’s the third. It’s happened so often I turned it off and generally I find the voice over annoying.

I’ve used HUD and I like having the speed displayed at my eye level rather than looking left and down. That said, I’m not bothered by the Y set up. Elon is years away from FSD so they ‘could’ add some nice to haves in the meantime.

I would like birds eye view for parking. I loved it in my VW. But that requires another camera up front low down. That won’t happen especially while their order book is full and there’s a chip shortage.

But I bought my Tesla anyway and they’re selling by the butt load right now.

I think they just reflect onto the screen, not embedded in it
They do, but for the same reason you don't purchase an expensive home cinema projector and just use the wall as a screen, the best results come from a special windscreen - which is why 3rd party add-on HUDs are pretty rubbish.

As the windscreen is laminated you can get a double image due to the image being reflected from both pieces of glass, hence the need to a special screen.
1654937326956.png

However if Tesla started to fit a HUD as standard then glass companies only need to stock one type of screen - albeit a more expensive one - so the difficultly in getting a replacement shouldn't be as great as it is with other manufacturers where it is an uncommon option that isn't catered for.

Reactions: 808litt