Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bent 19” Rims on a Pothole

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long story short, hit a deep pothole on the driver’s side of the car. Parked the car on the shoulder and everything seemed ok from external visual examination. However, later I started observing/feeling some vibration at 70mph+.

Took it for tire rotation and 2 tires had bent rims on the inside, not visible from the outside. 1 rim had bent 1.5-2” and the 2nd one @1”.

Can/Should I repair these? Or should I buy new ones?

Long story short, hit a deep pothole on the driver’s side of the car. Parked the car on the shoulder and everything seemed ok from external visual examination. However, later I started observing/feeling some vibration at 70mph+.

Took it for tire rotation and 2 tires had bent rims on the inside, not visible from the outside. 1 rim had bent 1.5-2” and the 2nd one @1”.

Can/Should I repair these? Or should I buy new ones?

A wheel repairer will have to look at them to be sure but it sounds like they are probably repairable. Whether you want to repair them or just buy new ones is something only you can decide.

Without knowing how much air pressure you were running, I can say more is better in terms of avoiding pothole damage.

Reactions: niray9
blanket statement but i dont mess about with compromised wheels/tires and suspension components. not something that spins around 20 times a second. also check your alignment because something that does that damage will likely atleast throw off the geometry, if it hasnt damaged the components themselves

This one hundred percent. Even when insurance is trying to force us to just repair a wheel, we always fight to just replace it (may not always get it but we try). It's not worth the monetary savings at the expense of a potentially dangerous situation later on. Wheels, tires, and suspension components are often overlooked or trivialized by the general public when they're some of the most critical aspects of any platform.

And, personally, I'd want the peace of mind. On a personal note, I had repaired a flow formed wheel on my weekend car. Took it to Buttonwillow. Midway through the day, I went off the track and my wheel completely cracked. Granted, it was a hard hit. Still, I'd rather be safe than sorry from now on.

Reactions: Msjulie
I've bent many wheels. They'll never be the same - even after a repair. I personally believe there's not much to worry about a repaired wheel from a safety standpoint, but it's super difficult (if not impossible) to get it back to "perfect." So even after you balance them, you might feel a slight vibration. My advice in decreasing preference: 1) Buy better aftermarket wheels & replace all of them - often they're cheaper than OEM 2) Buy used, but mint condition, 3) Make an insurance claim?

@niray9
File a comprehensive insurance claim and get forged wheels, they are a lot stronger, I would drop down to 18's too, you can get 4 for ~$2Kish in 18 or ~$2700 for 19's and 20's for $3200. This is a pretty common especially as the wheel sizes get larger and the tires get less rubber between your wheel and the road.. Martian Wheels or Titan7 come with a lifetime structural warranty, just make sure they are mono-block forged, not fugazzi forged like some of the other vendors on here.

I finally got the Titan7's for my Model S after waiting 11 months, I was the first run and had to get 5 others to go in with me, now they have them in stock here

or go see these guys, I'm sure they do a great job. o_O

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Ecoli
@niray9
File a comprehensive insurance claim and get forged wheels, they are a lot stronger, I would drop down to 18's too, you can get 4 for ~$2Kish in 18 or ~$2700 for 19's and 20's for $3200. This is a pretty common especially as the wheel sizes get larger and the tires get less rubber between your wheel and the road.. Martian Wheels or Titan7 come with a lifetime structural warranty, just make sure they are mono-block forged, not fugazzi forged like some of the other vendors on here.

I finally got the Titan7's for my Model S after waiting 11 months, I was the first run and had to get 5 others to go in with me, now they have them in stock here

or go see these guys, I'm sure they do a great job. o_O
"refurbished"

Does anybody know whether forged wheels actually withstand a pothole / road hazards better than any other type of construction? My understanding is that their strength is what makes them light - i.e., because forged is stronger, less material can be used. I'm not sure that means they're fit for rallying through Baghdad?

In my past experience, my repaired rims were never the same. always a slight vibration that they couldn't get rid of.

You could file a claim with insurance or file a claim with the road authority. In the end, it will still likely cost you $. Its a cost that largely goes uncounted for justifying road repairs.

Our governor won an election based on the slogan "Fix the damn roads", but now congress thinks that's too expensive. Much cheaper for the state to have people pay to fix their own cars that were damaged by the roads.

"refurbished"

Does anybody know whether forged wheels actually withstand a pothole / road hazards better than any other type of construction? My understanding is that their strength is what makes them light - i.e., because forged is stronger, less material can be used. I'm not sure that means they're fit for rallying through Baghdad?
They should be both lighter and stronger.